IMAG0161

Views: 1428
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff
zeroG Raptor

Views: 1768
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff

Author Topic: PayPal Made A Mistake Now I Am Not Covered. Dont MAke The Same Mistake  (Read 876 times)

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
  • I'm not deaf just thinking

Earlier this year I had a dispute about some gig tickets I purchased with a MasterCard Credit Card via an online web site that turned out to be forged. Long story short, I made a successful claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and got a 100% refund even though the agency had long since run away. The next thing I did was to change all my online payment methods to credit card and remove all direct debits from the likes of Amazon, PayPal etc. so I would be paying all my eBay purchases etc etc with a credit card and getting the cover of section 75...or at least I thought I had!  Turns out that PayPal had not removed the bank account direct debit. I purchased an item 2 weeks ago that was not as described, a blatant con, but very cleverly done. When I tried to claim on the eBay money back guarantee, they wouldnt have it as I had admitted that I had an engineer look at the item to discover if was a simple battery replacement or more serious. (the item description stated that it was working but may need a new internal battery in the near future) I had informed the seller that I was doing so. Too honest, thats my problem!  Engineer told me that the unit was properly cattle trucked and not fit for purpose. Next off to PayPal who also would not agree a claim as the item "was not in the condition it was sent in" as the back had been off. So off to the credit card company only to be told that PayPal had put the payment through as a direct debit so I was not covered.

So here is the rub if you think you have removed a bank account by doing so on the PP web site its worth a simple phone call to make sure it has been removed.   PayPal and eBay are absolutely no use what so ever when you have an issue.  They will never divulge an address unless they agree a return, data protection etc etc.
Favorite TV Series:The Sopranos
Favorite WW2 Movie's: Kelly's Heroes, Battle of Britain, Band of Bro

Ratty

• Air Commodore
    • Inside FPV
Re: PayPal Made A Mistake Now I Am Not Covered. Dont MAke The Same Mistake
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »

I dont think you are covered under section 75 when using a credit card through PayPal anyway, as there is a third party involved. So the CC company has no dealings with the seller.

I could be wrong tho, but pretty sure ive read/heard that before.

Brucey

• Air Vice-Marshal
PayPal Made A Mistake Now I Am Not Covered. Dont MAke The Same Mistake
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »

Yeah your correct Ratty.

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »

I dont think you are covered under section 75 when using a credit card through PayPal anyway, as there is a third party involved. So the CC company has no dealings with the seller.

I could be wrong tho, but pretty sure ive read/heard that before.
Not so according to Lloyd’s Customer Service yesterday. As it was PP that took the payment on behalf of the seller. They would have gone after PP if the payment had been through the credit card or even if it had been the debit card, the payment had to be over £100. Worth noting that section 75 generally only covers goods purchased direct from the seller. E.g. airline tickets from the airline not from an agent. It was PP customer service that advised me to go the section 75 route as their T&C did not cover the return of goods, which has the stupid clause of the goods have to be in “as delivered condition”. If I had told a lie and not admitted fitting a new battery I would have succeeded, so note to self, don’t be so honest.
Anyhow all online purchases by this household are now through a card not a direct debit.
EDIT
just waded through the PP T&C and it’s correct that you can go for section 75 against PP. interestingly they also list the various EU bodies that also offer protection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:24:28 AM by BigT »

Ratty

• Air Commodore
    • Inside FPV
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »

Good to know, thanks for the correction T.

Dave

• Squadron Leader
  • Let there be Flight....
    • F.P.heaVen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »

I'm extremely surprised that your situation has gone this way. eBay and PayPal's systems are so buyer biased its almost unbelievable.
I have been a victim from the other side on far too many occasions to consider it a viable option to continue trading through eBay. The amount of returns I've had that have clearly been misused, damaged, tampered with or are not the same item I sent out in the first place is bordering on ridiculous. NOT ONCE has a claim started by a buyer gone my way even in a situation whereby fraud was proven to have been attempted. That particular buyer even had the cheek to leave me untrue negative feedback which eBay will not remove.

IMHO you are far better off dealing direct with customers/sellers. Third parties (eBay & PayPal for example) seem to be able to override the T&Cs of other companies they deal with somehow. They also make promises on your behalf then you are held responsible in any situation whereby they are not kept.

Anyway, Ill stop ranting now, sorry to hijack your thread, eBay and PayPal where mentioned and as you may of guessed, I don't like them ;)

Sorry to hear that you have lost out after a genuine attempt to use their 'system' has failed :(
WWW.FPHEAVEN.CO.UK

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »

This is why I never recommend PayPal payments to any of my clients - SagePay all the way.

Pete

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »

This is beside the point but I'd highly recommend using PayPal for buying from sites like banggood though, I purchased a diatone gt200 from them and received a battery charger instead.

When contacting them they were adamant that the goods sent weighed the same as the quadcopter and we're refusing to refund of replace the item despite it weighing far less than they said, and even accused me of trying to commit fraud. If it wasn't for PayPal I doubt I would have got my refund.

Still cost me a third of what I paid for the quadcopter to send the charger back by recorded post but it was better than losing £210.

Loopdreams

• Air Commodore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »

This is why I never recommend PayPal payments to any of my clients - SagePay all the way.
Whatever the shortcomings I can't help feeling that not offering PayPal might actually harm someone's business these days.

Dave

• Squadron Leader
  • Let there be Flight....
    • F.P.heaVen
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »

Very true Loopdreams. I still use PayPal for my business.

Moving away from eBay has had a big affect on my sales but it got to the point where I was spending so much time desperately trying to find polite responses to rude, arrogant fuktards and dealing with being ripped off left right and centre, it just wasn't worth it anymore.

On the plus side (for you lot) I'm in a position to have another pricing re-structure soon as I've cut out one of the many middle men involved when you 'work for yourself' :)
WWW.FPHEAVEN.CO.UK

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

Whatever the shortcomings I can't help feeling that not offering PayPal might actually harm someone's business these days.

Well, you can enable Paypal payments from within SagePay itself but you can also selectively disable that option at checkout for "certain" customers...

PayPal is great for subscription or small / digital purchases but if I were selling high-dollar physical goods there's no way I'd recommend PayPal to a seller for the exact reasons this thread covers.

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »

I'm extremely surprised that your situation has gone this way.

Sorry to hear that you have lost out after a genuine attempt to use their 'system' has failed :(

No more surprised and annoyed than me. Apparently my big mistake was admitting that I had attempted to fix it by installing a new internal battery. The customer service person even said she understood why as it had been mentioned in the description that it may need one. Anyhow lesson learned, no bank account is associated with PayPal now only one credit card, so they cannot do the same again. The people at my bank told me they had seen it done before so hence the heads up.  Only issue is that if the PP account goes into credit then I cannot draw down the money as there is no bank account associated with the PP Acc.  Easy to rectify though. Just open a Post Office Gyro Account with no overdraft, open a new PP account and gift it.

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »

Well, you can enable Paypal payments from within SagePay itself but you can also selectively disable that option at checkout for "certain" customers...

PayPal is great for subscription or small / digital purchases but if I were selling high-dollar physical goods there's no way I'd recommend PayPal to a seller for the exact reasons this thread covers.

So just run that by me again. If I sell on eBay I dont think I have the option to receive payment in any way except PayPal do I? And I cannot pay online with SagePay can I? Its basically for businesses isnt it?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:27:13 PM by BigT »

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »

Yea sorry I was going off track ... I was talking about the systems I build with different payment provider integrations (Sagepay / PayPal / Barclays etc)

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »

So to overcome the PP funds withdrawal issue if you don’t link a bank account to your PP account. Simple solution is to open a “basic” bank account with Virgin. No fees, No overdraft facility (cannot be overdrawn by PP reversing a payment), managed on line 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

* Recent Topics
Team Wooly Sheep Reviews Here by Steve W
[Today at 12:45:59 AM]

E.T.s OMNIBUS F4 Autopilot...Which one to buy..?...AKK by English Turbines
[Yesterday at 09:11:07 PM]

I blow my own mind by Ratty
[Yesterday at 03:42:43 PM]

E.T.s Alien 500 Resurrection....ESC Problems by English Turbines
[Yesterday at 03:14:45 PM]

My kind of dronevlog videos, awesomeness! by ramatribudiman
[Yesterday at 12:29:04 PM]

Heads Up - drone collision with army helicopter by Billy_boy_2010
[December 16, 2017, 03:04:08 PM]

Seasons greetings by Drone 5
[December 15, 2017, 12:16:51 PM]

iNAV Version 1.8.1 November 1st 2017 by BigT
[December 14, 2017, 08:32:39 PM]

Hornet fpv wing motor,esc by dp106
[December 14, 2017, 05:33:31 PM]

snow flow. by teeburt
[December 14, 2017, 05:28:16 PM]

Proximity Magnet! by teeburt
[December 14, 2017, 05:22:19 PM]

Sharing My Music and Sound FX - Over 1000 Tracks by Eric Matyas
[December 14, 2017, 03:27:05 PM]

Micro Quads… again by CurryKitten
[December 14, 2017, 02:10:58 PM]

Wanhao I3 Plus by jono44
[December 14, 2017, 11:23:29 AM]

I seen this thought it interesting not sure its in the right place by Coyote
[December 14, 2017, 10:51:29 AM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.