Views: 1607
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff
zeroG Raptor

Views: 1943
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: v limited range.......Snow storm on mini talon  (Read 534 times)

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
v limited range.......Snow storm on mini talon
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:59 AM »

Hi guys

Would love some advice please guys

Mini talon
vector
1.3 400mW
shielded grounded cam cable

The range on my spec above is just awful. Severe video loss. I have tried 2 tx and a different rx system and it has been consistently poor. 1.5-2km tops. So it must be the plane.

I have also moved it in 2 postions- 6" on the wing tip and on the nose. No improvement.

It does seem to vary slightly with plane direction and orientation- but not significantly.

All i can think is

big carbon spars in the talon ?
vector is doing something wrong ?

I should perhaps check the power output of the vector- but I'm assuming it's ok as the tx are quite fussy with voltage.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:41:50 AM by Billy_boy_2010 »

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
Re: v limited range.......Snow storm on mini talon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »

Hi guys

Would love some advice please guys

Mini talon
vector
1.3 400mW
shielded grounded cam cable

The range on my spec above is just awful. Severe video loss. I have tried 2 tx and a different rx system and it has been consistently poor. 1.5-2km tops. So it must be the plane.

I have also moved it in 2 postions- 6" on the wing tip and on the nose. No improvement.

It does seem to vary slightly with plane direction and orientation- but not significantly.

All i can think is

big carbon spars in the talon ?
vector is doing something wrong ?

I should perhaps check the power output of the vector- but I'm assuming it's ok as the tx are quite fussy with voltage.

Hi M8,
            Been using 1280mhz for some time now, even with a small 200mw vtx, I have more range than I could ever need.

Try listing all your Video related items, VTX / VRX / Camera/ filters etc and your antennas.

Some photos would also be useful of (all) the parts you are using.  I have used the channel tuned Dipoles from Flytron Ltd, and you can order the one you prefer for your VTX. Most of the time Im just using the RD that came with the VTX and my 8dbi Patch antenna on the Lawmate vrx.
   There are some dos and don'ts with 1.2G and UHF Radio...so describe exactly how you are using them together.

Check you are using the 12v supply from your Vector as I think this is what most 1.2G vtxs use. I would also measure the 12v supply when the VTX is loading the Vectors supply.

:vulture: 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:18:56 PM by English Turbines »
Nothing beats the smell of Jet-A at 800 Celsius...:)
Falcon UHF & 1280mhz Video.
SW1900 & Storm.

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:42:03 PM »

thanks for your help m8

I'm no stranger to 1.3 and uhf. And have never had this problem before

ezuhf and vector GPS on wing 1

1.3 tx 400mw on wing 2

total seperation- perhaps 70cm

eagle tree vector

I have checked the voltage output from the vector- 11.80V. Video tx appears to work fine

Tx issue- eliminated as I have used 2 tx with 2 different antennas. L.P.

Rx issue- eliminated have viewed a friends rig from much further away- crystal clear

uhf- ezuhf extreme hopping. No probs before.

vector- second hand unit but can't see how it could be the cause ?!

the only other new components is the talon.

It doesn't appear to be interference. The video just breaks up fairly progressively with snow and speckles around 1500m and by 2k becomes quite unpleasant and starts to drop off. in truth I have never flown to the limits of 1.3 but I'm guessing this is how it appears??

If i didnt know any better I would say my tx was 25mW. Or they were surrounded by CF. But except the spars and battery there's no real RF blocker in there.

Dillwhacker

• Wing Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:38 AM »

SMA/RPSMA cockup or LHCP/RHCP cockup?
 :D

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 12:10:42 AM »

thanks for your help m8

I'm no stranger to 1.3 and uhf. And have never had this problem before

ezuhf and vector GPS on wing 1

1.3 tx 400mw on wing 2

total seperation- perhaps 70cm

eagle tree vector

I have checked the voltage output from the vector- 11.80V. Video tx appears to work fine

Tx issue- eliminated as I have used 2 tx with 2 different antennas. L.P.

Rx issue- eliminated have viewed a friends rig from much further away- crystal clear

uhf- ezuhf extreme hopping. No probs before.

vector- second hand unit but can't see how it could be the cause ?!

the only other new components is the talon.

It doesn't appear to be interference. The video just breaks up fairly progressively with snow and speckles around 1500m and by 2k becomes quite unpleasant and starts to drop off. in truth I have never flown to the limits of 1.3 but I'm guessing this is how it appears??

If i didnt know any better I would say my tx was 25mW. Or they were surrounded by CF. But except the spars and battery there's no real RF blocker in there.

Hmmm,
               Strange...if I had to guess, Id say maybe the problem maybe lies with the VTX...?...Not used the 400mw ones, only the 800mw and these TBH are way to powerful and the 200mw ones.
  What you are describing sounds like a weak signal....It could be you have two faulty vtxs...?

Cant see it being the spars either....You could try bypassing the Vector..?... and just run the camera signal direct to your VTX, at least it would eliminate the Vector.

I use EZUHF, its very resistant to 1.2G sidebanding and doesn't really step on my 1.2G receiver either, although I do use a low power 5.8G relay. I have stood with my SR771 right over my Video RX and its Patch,..no real effect TBH.

Yep, and like Dillwacker says....check your SMA connectors are correct...?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:12:37 AM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »

SMA/RPSMA cockup or LHCP/RHCP cockup?
 :D

Nope

and L.P. :)

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:19 AM »

It does sound like an antenna issue if it works flawlessly until a certain point - if it were electrical interference from the vector or esc etc you'd get some artifacts way before that distance..

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:33:37 AM »

Hmmm,
               Strange...if I had to guess, Id say maybe the problem maybe lies with the VTX...?...Not used the 400mw ones, only the 800mw and these TBH are way to powerful and the 200mw ones.
  What you are describing sounds like a weak signal....It could be you have two faulty vtxs...?

Cant see it being the spars either....You could try bypassing the Vector..?... and just run the camera signal direct to your VTX, at least it would eliminate the Vector.

I use EZUHF, its very resistant to 1.2G sidebanding and doesn't really step on my 1.2G receiver either, although I do use a low power 5.8G relay. I have stood with my SR771 right over my Video RX and its Patch,..no real effect TBH.

Yep, and like Dillwacker says....check your SMA connectors are correct...?

that does sound a reasonable elimination option. can run it without the vector and see what happens.

I like ezuhf for sure. Although mine does stomp on my cheap crap 1.3 rx.

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:37:31 AM »

It does sound like an antenna issue if it works flawlessly until a certain point - if it were electrical interference from the vector or esc etc you'd get some artifacts way before that distance..

it works fairly well up to 1.5km and then degrades. Not sure if it can be an antenna issue.

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »

well, maybe it's just local interference? Does it  do it in the opposite direction. Fresnel zone violation? What's nearby on the ground?

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:04 AM »

well, maybe it's just local interference? Does it  do it in the opposite direction. Fresnel zone violation? What's nearby on the ground?

3 locations.
doesn't look like interference ?!

potentially worse at certain angles and when banking.....

just can't figure it out.

I wonder if it's only kicking out 20mW and it's just bad luck it's both of them ?! seems to rapidly being the only option.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:57:50 AM by Billy_boy_2010 »

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »

3 locations.
doesn't look like interference ?!

potentially worse at certain angles and when banking.....

just can't figure it out.

I wonder if it's only kicking out 20mW and it's just bad luck it's both of them ?! seems to rapidly being the only option.

It sounds like a weak transmitted signal, but then again, your EZUHF Transmitter could be smothering your VRX as you admitted...?
   Are you using a 5.8G relay..?...so you can distance yourself from the 1.2G Video receiver..?  Does your 1.2G VRX have a SAW filter fitted to it..?

What antennas are you using..?...although with a 400mw vtx, you should get at least 4 or 5 kms easily on just RDs..

SW1900 & Storm.

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »

It sounds like a weak transmitted signal, but then again, your EZUHF Transmitter could be smothering your VRX as you admitted...?
   Are you using a 5.8G relay..?...so you can distance yourself from the 1.2G Video receiver..?  Does your 1.2G VRX have a SAW filter fitted to it..?

What antennas are you using..?...although with a 400mw vtx, you should get at least 4 or 5 kms easily on just RDs..

using a 5.8 relay- and a friend running ezuhf doesn't have the issue at all. his Tx is glued in place unfortunately otherwise i could swap!

and yes with my directional antenna I should get far far further than I would ever want to fly.

I don't fly far away anyway- but I do fly very low and want rock solid signal inches off the ground- so like to have a very over built system.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »

using a 5.8 relay- and a friend running ezuhf doesn't have the issue at all. his Tx is glued in place unfortunately otherwise i could swap!

and yes with my directional antenna I should get far far further than I would ever want to fly.

I don't fly far away anyway- but I do fly very low and want rock solid signal inches off the ground- so like to have a very over built system.

Hi Mate,

I use an 8dbi Patch on my Lawmate vrx, it works very well...Low altitude 3kms out no problem. The obvious thing you could try is tuning into your mates 1.2G VTX when he is out at range ....?
  What antenna are you using on your Video receiver...?

SW1900 & Storm.

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »

Hi Mate,

I use an 8dbi Patch on my Lawmate vrx, it works very well...Low altitude 3kms out no problem. The obvious thing you could try is tuning into your mates 1.2G VTX when he is out at range ....?
  What antenna are you using on your Video receiver...?

I did that- tuned into my friends setupnwith my rx setup and had crystal clear vision at 3k. Mine would have been unfkyable.

L.P. patch antenna. Pretty standard one.
Pages: [1] 2

* Recent Topics
Rotor riot podcast about Long range by Billy_boy_2010
[Today at 01:19:50 PM]

Cloning a Taranis X9 Plus by English Turbines
[Today at 01:10:31 PM]

3D Printed Trainer by Drone 5
[Today at 12:38:40 PM]

Torvol Drone Adventure Backpack - useful for Phantom owners and similar by CurryKitten
[Today at 12:33:11 PM]

GoPro Hero5 Session - 129 by Loopdreams
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Matec F405-WING by English Turbines
[May 22, 2018, 12:48:23 PM]

What arrived today? by Steve W
[May 22, 2018, 12:30:39 AM]

E.T.s Wing Wing Z84 build...with iNAV. by English Turbines
[May 21, 2018, 09:14:57 PM]

Hello from Gosport by jjbrunton
[May 21, 2018, 12:36:02 AM]

Better Bungee Required by Drone 5
[May 20, 2018, 05:34:52 PM]

3D Printed Spitfire by Drone 5
[May 20, 2018, 09:37:49 AM]

Two dodgy FrSky XM+ receivers in a row - the hunt for answers by English Turbines
[May 19, 2018, 08:56:48 PM]

E.T.s Z84...Failsafe events and why you need a DVR. by English Turbines
[May 19, 2018, 08:30:43 PM]

Flyingwings Revenge by Loopdreams
[May 19, 2018, 07:44:48 PM]

3D Printed Spitfire from 3dlabprint by Drone 5
[May 19, 2018, 06:33:30 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.