IMAG0161

Views: 1632
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff
zeroG Raptor

Views: 1969
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff

Author Topic: Martian 2.....& Molly the Dog.  (Read 2558 times)

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
Martian 2.....& Molly the Dog.
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »

Today's practice session with the Martian 2 was most enjoyable.....:)

:vulture:
Nothing beats the smell of Jet-A at 800 Celsius...:)
Falcon UHF & 1280mhz Video.
SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Flight Lieutenant
Re: Martian 2.....& Molly the Dog.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »

Nice.
Looks like the FC thinks you are running 5s. It might be worth tweeking the voltage settings to stop that message on the screen.
One other thing, the antenna seems a bit vulnerable well it would be on mine. If you have a crash then the antenna might be ripped off the vtx! Then again you seem to be able keep it off the ground unlike me  ;D ;D ;D

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:49 PM »

Nice.
Looks like the FC thinks you are running 5s. It might be worth tweeking the voltage settings to stop that message on the screen.
One other thing, the antenna seems a bit vulnerable well it would be on mine. If you have a crash then the antenna might be ripped off the vtx! Then again you seem to be able keep it off the ground unlike me  ;D ;D ;D

Hi m8,
            Yes, not sure why it does that Land Now thing, I need to check and calibrate the voltage maybe. Since I have been flying it on 4S, this message keeps popping up, but it doesn't on 3S?.
  Im still using the RD on the Quad which is positioned to fold back in a crash. I tried a skew on it but the Viper diversity system seems to like a pair of matched antennas, so I have a pair of RDs on it...Not the best I know, but it seems to work close in at least. At some point, I am going to substitute my 5 Inch Little Pilot screen, I know that works really well even though it has no diversity. My vtx is just held on with double sided foam...lol.
  I really like flying this quad, I like how I can precisely place it just where I want it...:)

SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »

I have a feeling that the voltage thing is something to do with the way BetaFlight (guessing that is what you are using?) guesses how many cells you have by the startup voltage or there is s setting in BetaFlight that says something about max voltage. that might be set for 3s?
There is a voltage scaling setting that may help, it might need tweeking to match the voltage on a multimeter for max and min.

I once sheered off the sma from a RD on my first quad! But that was a through frame mount. So you will probably be OK as it's a dipole that can fold and the vtx is just on foam so in a big impact hopefully the foam tape will let go before the sma.

As for the Viper and it's diversity, I have not watched any reviews on them but if they are anything like my ev100 then it might not be true diversity. It could be 'antenna' diversity not 'receiver' diversity. The system on the ev100 is basically that if the signal is low on one antenna it blindly swaps to the other to see if that is better! On 'proper' diversity both signals are monitored and the best one is continuously is selected. So on my ev100 I have a pagoda on the 'normal' antenna sma and a DP on the other. So getting the best antenna on the 'normal' sma is the key.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »

I have a feeling that the voltage thing is something to do with the way BetaFlight (guessing that is what you are using?) guesses how many cells you have by the startup voltage or there is s setting in BetaFlight that says something about max voltage. that might be set for 3s?
There is a voltage scaling setting that may help, it might need tweeking to match the voltage on a multimeter for max and min.

I once sheered off the sma from a RD on my first quad! But that was a through frame mount. So you will probably be OK as it's a dipole that can fold and the vtx is just on foam so in a big impact hopefully the foam tape will let go before the sma.

As for the Viper and it's diversity, I have not watched any reviews on them but if they are anything like my ev100 then it might not be true diversity. It could be 'antenna' diversity not 'receiver' diversity. The system on the ev100 is basically that if the signal is low on one antenna it blindly swaps to the other to see if that is better! On 'proper' diversity both signals are monitored and the best one is continuously is selected. So on my ev100 I have a pagoda on the 'normal' antenna sma and a DP on the other. So getting the best antenna on the 'normal' sma is the key.

Hi m8,
            Well, I checked it inside Betaflight last night with a 4S plugged in. I had to adjust it very slightly as it was 0.1volt out against my Fluke meter, so I dont know whats going on with it, and as I say, on 3S it behaves itself.?

I think you are probably right in that the Viper only has one receiver in it and is using two antennas and a form of diversity, which is disappointing as it rarely works correctly. That said, using a pair of RDs is working okay for me at the moment, but Im not planning on going far with this setup for sure. I also bought these Goggles to use with my 1.2G relay, so range when doing this trick is not a problem. I will try putting the directional on the other sma next time out to see if it's any better, but having a mix of antenna types seem to make it worse which causes flicker at times which then in turn Im thinking upsets the DVR with static overload. It's a shame, because the mechanical / optical setup is really good and I like that about them. The other ace up my sleeve, is my Hawkeye 5 Inch Monitor which also clips on the Viper Goggles. That Monitor only has one antenna and using a directional I have had it recording on a DVR 2 kms out no problem.
   Bottom line is, I bought these for flying Quads, and its doing that for me anyway, so not too unhappy really.

SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »

Sounds like you have a good plan.
Happy flying.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »

Sounds like you have a good plan.
Happy flying.

Hi m8,
             Yes, flew it yesterday had about 6 Lipos on it.  Im only using 1500mah 4S now and getting faster circuits. I even strapped my old Mobius on it and got about 5 mins of footage before the Lipo gave out.
  Anyone who is thinking about getting into Quads, I say try it. You can fly even when it's really quite breezy or in conditions you would not like for Fixed Wing.
   I even bought a Stingy X5 Frame off E-Bay yesterday as I have enough spare parts to put another Quad together. I suppose Im a bit hooked..?

SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »

Looks like a nice frame especially for the money. Is this one going to be a faster one or just a 'backup'?

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »

Looks like a nice frame especially for the money. Is this one going to be a faster one or just a 'backup'?

Hi m8,
            Yes, it looks a nice freestyle frame to me...I was surprised when I saw it on E-Bay for 25 so I bought one. Should be here soon.
 I dont think it will be any faster as Im using the same ESC / Motor set-up as the Martian. Not too bothered about speed or agility, more endurance and this one looks a bit longer in the body than the Martian.
  I may be able to up the prop pitch and still get it to fly okay with say an 1800mah 4S..? I might go mad and put a Runcam split on it..lol.

Yesterday, sometimes the Lipo warning came up as I powered it, sometimes it didn't and worked as expected...a bit weird. Don't know why it's doing that...?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:40:35 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »

Yesterday, sometimes the Lipo warning came up as I powered it, sometimes it didn't and worked as expected...a bit weird. Don't know why it's doing that...?
I don't have OSD but sometimes when I first connect lipo I get constant beep tone. If I unplug and replug a couple of times it usually stops. I think it's something to do with battery scaling but I still have to investigate.
I think sometimes betaflight thinks its a different cell cont and gets all confused.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 09:55:11 PM »

I don't have OSD but sometimes when I first connect lipo I get constant beep tone. If I unplug and replug a couple of times it usually stops. I think it's something to do with battery scaling but I still have to investigate.
I think sometimes betaflight thinks its a different cell cont and gets all confused.

Yes, I agree, it would seem that the "Land Now" message that appears as soon as I power up assumes a dangerously flat 5S Lipo...?...
  I have my warning set at 3.5v per cell, so on a 4S it will start flashing a warning "Battery Low" as soon as it goes below 14 volts, which it does.
 I think I have the absolute minimum cell voltage set at 3.20 volts per cell. Quite why we would need an absolute minimum as well as the 3.50 volt warning is a mystery to me..?
    Im thinking I should set the absolute minimum cell voltage to 3.50 volts as well, maybe that's it, confusing things at boot up?
 Sometimes they make things too complicated.

SW1900 & Storm.

CurryKitten

• Air Vice-Marshal
  • Brought to you by Google
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 10:37:45 PM »

The voltage thing, and the warning is as you guys deduced, the way the battery is being read when you plug in, and the way betaflight tried to figure out how many cells by dividing the max voltage per cell by the voltage it sees.  You warn/min voltage shouldn't have an impact on this.  Obligatory video -

! No longer available

One thing I would recommend is plugging in your battery when you are connected to betaflight on the power screen, and you'll see what the voltage looks like as soon as the lipo is plugged in.  There always seems to be a bit of  spike, so it reads higher at the beginning before it settles down.... which can lead to the confusing state of you seeing 12.6v (pretend you are on 3s) with the voltage flashing as it read higher when plugged in and did the division all wrong.

Suggestions: Do check that you voltage is reading correctly in betaflight vs a multimeter, and use the scale value in betaflight to make it right.  Raise the max voltage per cell up a few 1/10ths of a volt if you need to.  Having a flashing reading can be really off-putting

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »

Hi Wayne,

I know the voltage is calibrated and reading correctly, I tested it using my Fluke meter and it checks out okay...I ended up with a 111 calib factor too.
 About the spike at start up, I think you may be right about that. I tested it today and when I first plugged in, it did its usual "Land Now" thing where clearly it thinks I have a very flat 5S Lipo, not a fresh 4S.

Soooo, I then unplugged, waited about 5 seconds and then powered up again....success...:)  It's almost like a surge where the capacitors are sucking up the voltage as you power up..?
  My charger is set to 4.20 volts per cell, and after charging a 4S never exceeds 16.80 volts. I will try as you suggested setting the max volts per cell to 4.30 and see if that helps....
  Watching your clip really closely, I saw it spike to over 13 volts momentarily when you first plugged in

Thanks for your help..been driving me nuts.....:)

Update: 17/6/2018......Its fixed.....4.30 volts max per cell has cured it....:).....Thanks Wayne.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:31:21 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

* Recent Topics
Drone Debate in Parliament - includes Shakespeare quotes! Yep! by BigT
[Today at 09:38:25 AM]

E.T.s Falcon & Runcam Eagle 16:9 DVR. by English Turbines
[Yesterday at 10:10:52 PM]

Early doors by Steve W
[June 23, 2018, 10:32:57 AM]

What arrived today? by English Turbines
[June 23, 2018, 12:11:09 AM]

Kingkong / LDARC FPV Egg Pro 138mm - no Power to FC by Peter M
[June 22, 2018, 09:48:16 PM]

The PinPointRC GPS tracker - any tests I need to do ? by ched
[June 22, 2018, 09:15:06 PM]

Team Breakout FPV Power Cooling Towers by JAB1a
[June 22, 2018, 06:16:01 PM]

Z-84 Annotated Cruise Around My Field by Steve W
[June 22, 2018, 05:36:14 PM]

A break in our weather by RayBlueSky
[June 22, 2018, 10:57:04 AM]

How big is your motor...? by English Turbines
[June 21, 2018, 09:15:29 PM]

Popped my fixed wing Cherry by grahamjb
[June 21, 2018, 08:51:03 PM]

Martian 2.....& Molly the Dog. by English Turbines
[June 17, 2018, 12:41:43 AM]

FXT Technology....Viper Goggles Test + Tiny Seven by English Turbines
[June 15, 2018, 07:12:26 PM]

Better Bungee Required by Drone 5
[June 15, 2018, 11:58:17 AM]

3D Printed Wing by Coyote
[June 15, 2018, 09:03:56 AM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.