General Category > Manufacturers Section

E-wings - a new UK based EPP wing manufacturer

(1/22) > >>

iwan_canobi:
I've been doing this hobby for a number of years now and have been increasingly frustrated with the lack of options available in the UK for EPP hot wire cut style flying wings. The US has loads of options (ritewing, sweepwings, TBRC etc) but we are severely limited here for options, and shipping from the US is horribly expensive.

So a while back I thought, why don't I just make my own company? So, over the last few months that's exactly what I've been doing. I've built up all the necessary tools to CNC hot wire cut and produce wings, I've sourced a UK manufacturer for extremely high quality, robust EPP foam and have been working on CAD designs for the first model to be produced.

So, I give you:

It's still very much in it's infancy so I don't have a website set up yet, and I'm still at the prototype stage but I wanted to announce here first to see what interest there is in the first model.

The first wing is a 1.4m 3-piece wing, with a meaty airfoil for stable cruising and fast, low and smooth runs. I hate wag, so I'll be doing everything I can to make sure this wing will fly as smooth and stable as possible, whilst still being manoeuvrable and easy to launch. It will have the following specs:

* 3 piece EPP construction
* 1 main spar and 6 strip spars
* 2 pre cut center bays for battery / electronics
* High quality balsa elevons
* Laser cut correx bay covers and winglets (possibly also vertical fins depending on testing results)
* Optional 3d printed camera nose
* Various motor sizes and power setup compatibility
* Speed range - 40-160km/h

Now some of that will change slightly as the testing continues, but those are my targets just now. Target price for the kit is £70 which I think is great for the quality you will be getting. Again this is a target but it shouldn't deviate too much.

I'll add prototype pictures soon, and I'd hope to be able to ship the first kits within the next 2 months, just in time for summer! :D

The plan will then be to move to designing the next models, in mind I have a small racing wing, and a larger forward swept design with a fuse.

So please feel free to comment, let me know if this first model is something you would be interested in and if you have any particular requests of what you'd like to see in the range. Once I'm happy with the design I'll get a site up and start taking orders!

I should note that this is not going to replace my day job, and I'm doing it all off my own back in my spare time so the initial batches may be small, but you've got to start somewhere!

I'm super excited about getting this off the ground and hope you guys will get some enjoyment out of my designs! :D

FPVSteve:
Fantastic!

Would you also be willing to offer custom cutting services for people who have plans but no machinery?

CurryKitten:
Awesome - nice one Ewan.  Really looking forward to seeing your designs - you did some great things to eliminate the wag from your last one (can't remember what it was) so I expect a new level of super smooth flying wing :)

iwan_canobi:
Cheers guys, looking forward to getting on with it and getting some out there in the wild!

--- Quote from: Steve W on April 06, 2018, 12:59:30 PM ---Fantastic!

Would you also be willing to offer custom cutting services for people who have plans but no machinery?

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't rule it out Steve but not initially. Maybe once I've got the first few batches out of the way I would look into it, it just depends how much work the plans would need etc.

pk-surfing:
A definite 10/10 for what you are doing, great to hear.

Keep us updated on what's available and when.

PK  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version