Views: 1659
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff
zeroG Raptor

Views: 1995
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I think I'm done...  (Read 1103 times)

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
I think I'm done...
« on: August 08, 2018, 01:25:43 AM »

.. eek.

I've been pondering this for a while now, I have loads of kit but very little motivation to actually use it. Don't fly with anybody any more as they aren't local or have sold their gear off, and with the new laws coming in it's just feeling like more and more of a hassle than a fun pastime.

I've had my z-84 in the back of my car fully charged for weeks now (annoying when putting the shopping in and I forget its there lol) but not gotten around to use it.
Skywalker Revolution just sitting there
Vortex gets used on occassion
BushMule got used twice
Mini Talon sitting there as well.

Anybody else just feeling a bit "meh!" towards it all? I use to be super-enthused about it all the time but the last couple of years have been tough.

Sorry if this brings anyone else down, that's not my intention - I just feel like the heart of the hobby has gone. No meets any more, noone posting decent videos, all of the threads on here are about legal bollocks, even on Facebook it feels like the same people are just doing the same stuff over and over again.

Help!

Loopdreams

• Air Commodore
Re: I think I'm done...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »

It's just a hobby, dude.  I get like this with things too, but rather than decide that everything's black and you need to actually quit and sell all your kit just do something else with your time for a while and at some point down the line you'll probably get some FPV itch that you want to scratch.

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
  • I'm not deaf just thinking
I think I'm done...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »

This “moodset” is probably why I have so many models
7 autogyros
3 plan built pylon racers
2 MTD ( one unbuilt in box complete with accessory pack)
1 Skywalker
1 ASW 28 3 meter elec glider
1 IC helicopter
3 ZMR 250 Quads all different set ups
2 Tonka Summit FPV trucks plus uhf kit
1 500 size quad full house inc sonar
1 FPV Spitfire (dynam)
30% Glens CAP
1 large glider tug
2 MFD trackers
Piles of FPV kit, goggles etc
Piles of general modelling tools and accessories
Most of the above may get used for a few months then shelved when I get bored and I move on to the next challenge. Second hand kit is worth buttons compared to what it cost new so I don’t bother selling it. I give away some kit to those lads who are keen but have no money.
I became an instructor to relieve the boredom, then dissolution set in due to the apathy of students.
But I still stick with it cos everything else I have tried, and I have tried a lot of different pastimes, never hits the spot.  I still get a real buzz from helping interested modellers.
Perhaps you should try another discipline in the hobby?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Favorite TV Series:The Sopranos
Favorite WW2 Movie's: Kelly's Heroes, Battle of Britain, Band of Bro

Ratty

• Air Commodore
    • Inside FPV
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

Youve been here before Steve, what got you out of the funk last time?

There are plenty of meets if you want to race.  ;D (i know thats not your thing)

CurryKitten

• Air Vice-Marshal
  • Brought to you by Google
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »

Certainly, the seemingly endless amounts of "you're all bad, we're gonna get you" stories don't do anything to help, but just looking at something new or having a nice fun flight picks me right up again.  Sometimes it's good to take a break and evaluate what drives you, what you want to do with your spare time.  Absence will either make the heart grow fonder, or you'll decide that you might want to do something else.

You are on your own 99% of the time Steve which just isn't as much fun as being with others.  Perhaps it's worth that little extra effort of finding some people to fly with every so often.  I fly by myself most of the time, but I meet up with a few local guys here every few weeks or so and it's always more fun.  There are loads more equipment failures and crashes (and wondering around finding bits) but always a good laugh

Drone 5

• Wing Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »

Hi Steve

Sorry you feel like that, having said that I am in the same doldrums. Takes me all my time when the weather is good for flying to even get out there. All the hassle of charging stuff up seems a pain on its own at present.

Hope it will pass for both our sakes.

PS - Not been negative here, just the way I feel at present.
M.
YouTube Channel     wad5uk

Ratty

• Air Commodore
    • Inside FPV
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »

Just to add to the race meet thing, a lot of racers do fly more than just their race quads. So if you went to some of the local races you could meet some local flying buddies.

They are all FPV mad, so may help to ignite the passion again.   :D

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »

Thanks for the replies fellas - Loopdreams you're probably right, it costs nothing to have my stuff hanging up until I do fancy it again.

Time for a break!

Coyote

• Admin
    • My New Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies fellas - Loopdreams you're probably right, it costs nothing to have my stuff hanging up until I do fancy it again.

Time for a break!

That's what's happened with me, lost the drive to dfo it, but they aren't causing any harm being hung up in the mancave so they are sitting there waiting .......... 
Education and schoolin is good, but FPV is gooder :)

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

Cato7

• Flying officer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »

Been the same for me the last few months, had a few flights here and there but nothing compared to last year or year before that. All the time the weather was crap i  was moaning i couldn't fly, then it started to change and been so nice i just couldn't get motivated to fly.

Would charge everything up to fly then kept putting it off finding other things to do,tinker with and keep myself busy by which time i ran out of time to fly lol.

I'm lucky that i have a lot of land around me and apart from a few walkers at the weekends i never get any people disturbing me, but with all the new rules and laws coming in i feel more aware of potential questioning from people if they do see me. Plus the fact i fly alone which can sometimes be a bit boring as it would be nice to enjoy it with someone else and have a laugh. 

I have so much equipment and dread to think how much its all cost but just couldn't part with it just in case and doubt i'd get much in return so worth more to me to keep it. Like you say its not a problem sitting there and i know ill get my mojo back at some point.

Have just started this week to take the vortex out for a few packs and although i don't feel the same addiction i did last year i'm starting to slowly enjoy it again but not fussed if i don't fly. I'm a little rusty and have spent more in spares and props last couple of days i ever did last year lol

Maybe as currykitten says find some other people to fly with, even once a month or so would get us motivated more. Def something i'm going to look into, Was enjoying your last few vids steve shame your all so far away as would love to have a meetup.

Scott 

BigT

• Nothing works !!
  • Air Commodore
  • I'm not deaf just thinking
I think I'm done...
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »

@currykitten definitely much more fun when you fly with like minded people whatever the discipline. Why not take a trip down to the Nationals and just mooch about for a day? You could even take a tent and stay a night. There is so much going on and an excellent display flight line.

For me FPV was a new challenge, I enjoyed the learning curve, I enjoyed building the quads, I enjoyed adapting the controllers to iNav. But now I realise that long range FPV is just too risky around my area. Even with the most reliable gear. There’s just too many ways to get found out or dobbed in, I wouldn’t put it past so called club mates to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:57:42 AM by BigT »
Favorite TV Series:The Sopranos
Favorite WW2 Movie's: Kelly's Heroes, Battle of Britain, Band of Bro

Steve W

• "The Gaffer"
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »

Been the same for me the last few months, had a few flights here and there but nothing compared to last year or year before that. All the time the weather was crap i  was moaning i couldn't fly, then it started to change and been so nice i just couldn't get motivated to fly.

Would charge everything up to fly then kept putting it off finding other things to do,tinker with and keep myself busy by which time i ran out of time to fly lol.

I'm lucky that i have a lot of land around me and apart from a few walkers at the weekends i never get any people disturbing me, but with all the new rules and laws coming in i feel more aware of potential questioning from people if they do see me. Plus the fact i fly alone which can sometimes be a bit boring as it would be nice to enjoy it with someone else and have a laugh. 

I have so much equipment and dread to think how much its all cost but just couldn't part with it just in case and doubt i'd get much in return so worth more to me to keep it. Like you say its not a problem sitting there and i know ill get my mojo back at some point.

Have just started this week to take the vortex out for a few packs and although i don't feel the same addiction i did last year i'm starting to slowly enjoy it again but not fussed if i don't fly. I'm a little rusty and have spent more in spares and props last couple of days i ever did last year lol

Maybe as currykitten says find some other people to fly with, even once a month or so would get us motivated more. Def something i'm going to look into, Was enjoying your last few vids steve shame your all so far away as would love to have a meetup.

Scott 

lol - you're EXACTLY me, even down to the Vortex :D Had to do a double-take to see if I was the one who'd written that!!

Cato7

• Flying officer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 12:33:00 AM »

lol - you're EXACTLY me, even down to the Vortex :D Had to do a double-take to see if I was the one who'd written that!!

lol yeah, seems harder to just pick something up and just enjoy it really need to get out of the rut. well i have charged up a few for tomorrow Vortex, bix and solo, the spares arrived for the vortex and I've repaired it so no excuses :D

Gonna force myself to fly at least one, hopefully it'll be nice tomorrow. Maybe an early flight Steve with the z84? 

Billy_boy_2010

• Group Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »

I have completely sold up and then bought everything again TWICE

Doing it with friends helps

IMO it's normal for enthusiasm to go through peaks and troughs

Finding exciting locations to fly at helps a lot too

jono44

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »

Ive just had about an 18month layoff didnt build or fly anything but kept all my gear, just almost finish building a 3 inch mini quad and bought a DJI mavic air for some filming. So i wouldnt sell up just in case.
Pages: [1] 2

* Recent Topics
Frsky radio advice by English Turbines
[Yesterday at 11:49:00 AM]

drop it like its hot - betaflight Q by The flying cat
[Yesterday at 11:00:28 AM]

I think I'm done... by Steve W
[Yesterday at 12:08:19 AM]

Better Bungee Required by Coyote
[August 15, 2018, 01:21:25 PM]

video editing software suggestions? by BigT
[August 15, 2018, 11:42:46 AM]

E.T.s Z84...iNAV 2.0 and Eachine DVR Testing by English Turbines
[August 14, 2018, 04:46:56 PM]

FLY ANGRY by Lamaule
[August 14, 2018, 11:16:16 AM]

Evening Rip with wings and hay-bales by urbanfpv
[August 13, 2018, 04:13:07 PM]

E-wings - a new UK based EPP wing manufacturer by iwan_canobi
[August 13, 2018, 11:19:35 AM]

Mini Talon FPV Flight by Drone 5
[August 12, 2018, 05:14:30 PM]

Hi folks by Coyote
[August 11, 2018, 10:04:37 PM]

School’s out... by elmattbo
[August 09, 2018, 09:22:39 PM]

What do you think about my build list? by ched
[August 09, 2018, 06:43:11 PM]

Saying hello by curlypaul
[August 07, 2018, 02:33:30 PM]

Fatshark HDO with FPV Freerider on a Macbook? by ched
[August 07, 2018, 12:56:15 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.