Views: 1791
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff
zeroG Raptor

Views: 2128
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: FrSky R9M....868mhz European Frequency.  (Read 2558 times)

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
FrSky R9M....868mhz European Frequency.
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »

I thought I would open a thread on the latest offering from FrSky, the R9M Module and receivers.

Mine has arrived and is working normally on the EU LBT Firmware (868mhz).

First impressions are good with some notable improvements.
 The TX Module can be run at 25 / 200 / or 500 mw with or without Telemetry (select from the Transmitter). Having hooked it to a spare F4 Flight Controller, the receiver outputs are very stable with very little drift around centre.  I need to calibrate the RSSI in iNAV though as its pegged out beyond 100% at the moment.

Running it at 500 mw, the TX Module gets a little warm. Im running a 3S Lipo (internal) seems to cope okay. I will probably set it for 200mw which will be plenty.
   Bit confusing about the power supply as External power is limited to 2S, but no mention of the Internal Lipo of the Taranis which of course can cope with 3S...???

The R9MM receiver is absolutely tiny, smaller than the XM Plus....:)

Open for discussion, would like to hear from other users....:)

:vulture:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:48:20 PM by English Turbines »
Nothing beats the smell of Jet-A at 800 Celsius...:)
Falcon UHF & 1280mhz Video.
SW1900 & Storm.

chris-s

• Group Captain
Re: FrSky R9M....868mhz European Frequency.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »

Mine also arrived today. I havenít connected it up yet as I was just about to ask how to get the most out of it.

Itís going into my QX7 which is running OpenTX, guess I should update that as itís quite an old version now.

Anything else to get the most out of it? What does the non-eu firmware offer?

Wasnít there an option for variable power?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:12:03 PM by chris-s »

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:41:17 PM »

Mine also arrived today. I havenít connected it up yet as I was just about to ask how to get the most out of it.

Itís going into my QX7 which is running OpenTX, guess I should update that as itís quite an old version now.

Anything else to get the most out of it? What does the non-eu firmware offer?

Wasnít there an option for variable power?

Hi Chris,
                 You will need to update Open TX Companion to version 2.2.2 before you can use the R9M.

In standard form using the (current) LBT Firmware allows the (manual) selection of RF power levels. What is in the pipeline is adaptive (Auto) RF power.
   This function will be a feature of Companion 2.2.3 as yet unreleased.
In adaptive power Mode, power available will run from 25 mw up to 1000 mw automatically as required, rather like the TBS system. The Flex Firmware will eventually make available all of the features in both FCC and LBT.
  In order to use auto adaptive power it requires Telemetry to be switched on, I won't be using it though.

The difference in both is simply the operating frequency. We can't use the FCC Firmware in the UK because it uses the 915 mhz band which is Mobile Phone here, so stay away from it is my advice.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:45:49 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

chris-s

• Group Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »

Thanks. So the Flex firmware is only 915mhz then? Bummer :(

Chris

chris-s

• Group Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:50 PM »

Thanks. So the Flex firmware is only 915mhz then? Bummer :(

Chris

Just quickly checked the frsky page and it _sounds_ like the flex firmware is available in the eu frequency bands. Will have to do a bit more digging.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 11:28:57 PM »

My understanding of the Flex Firmware is that it will eventually offer ALL of the features on both 868 mhz and 915 mhz.

This includes auto RF power of up to 1000 mw available on the LBT Firmware...(Unless the EU jobsworths try and stop it)

Im very surprised more than 60 mw is available on the LBT Firmware, Im guessing FrSky have taken the view that if it's good enough for TBS, it's good enough for them...?
  After all, that top draw TBS TX Module can do a full 2 watts, which frankly at this frequency is a bit mental.

As I said, you can't use the FCC Firmware here in the UK, its 915 mhz, unless you want shooting down by a Cell Phone tower..?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:35:59 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Brought to you by Google
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »

I've been playing with the R9M and R9-Lite modules.  Obviously, my thoughts will be coming out later in a video (as well as a bit I'm writing about it)

I think my bullet points on this so far having done a bunch of testing between the two modules in various power settings (but only on the standard firmware) are these -

• It feels completely Mickey Mouse next to the Crossfire, I have no idea why Trappy was worried
  • The RSSI value seems completely all over the place, it's very inconsistent in it's readings
  • The value of the RSSI coming back from the telemetry is different than what's being passed to ch 16
  • Rebinding to change power levels is a right pain in the arse for testing

If I had to sum the system up in one word, I would have to say "beta".  Right now if feels underdeveloped, and it's not particularly help by their being 3 different strands of the firmware - Normal/F.Port/Flex.  Obviously it sounds like Flex will be the most useful if they can deliver it, but I'm not about to grab a nightly 2.2.3 OpenTX build to try it right now.

On the good side, despite me getting my RSSI value (on screen) down to 4%, I've been unable to get it to failsafe on me.  AFAIK the hardware in the system is broadly the same as the Crossfire, and show it should be capable of great things... if they actually develop it that far.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:01:36 AM »

Hi Wayne,

What receiver were you using..?...I am using the latest R9MM receiver that came as a package with the R9M TX JR Bay Module.
  Im surprised you would consider it Mickey Mouse, I thought the outputs were very smooth and stable as witnessed inside iNAV. Smoother than say the XM Plus for example.  My RSSI is pegged at a value of 2136 on channel 16, dont know how to calibrate INAV and its just showing 100% all the time.
  I did get it to drop right down around 50% when I put it on Range Test Mode though. (Micro power)

Considering I paid £30 for the TX Module AND the R9MM Micro receiver, its a bit of a steal....lol.

As for Trappy, he knows he just lost a load of sales, for certain, no wonder he's pissed off.

SW1900 & Storm.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 12:27:09 AM »

I got the same package as you (aside from I got both the R9-Lite and the R9M module) so I'm using the R9MM receiver.

It's Mickey Mouse in the comparison to the Crossfire (IMO obviously) The Crossfire has dedicated LUA scripts to let you set everything up, you can update the receivers over the air, adaptive power is there out of the box and the RSSI (of Link quality actually being the one to use) is consistent.  The significant latency improvement with CRSF is why all the racers jumped on it.

Like I said, The R9 will hopefully get better, but it's all very Beta feeling at the moment.  It's main issue for me is that I don't find it trustworthy.  I'm flying it to the extents of my field, and it's keeping the link, but goes around telling me that there's no signal... it doesn't give me a good feeling.  Hopefully FrSky will pull their finger out and sort it.

I agree, it is a bit of a steal for the money - lots of people have jumped in.  It's kind of feels like FrSky is try to buy their way into the 868/915 market though

Hi Wayne,

What receiver were you using..?...I am using the latest R9MM receiver that came as a package with the R9M TX JR Bay Module.
  Im surprised you would consider it Mickey Mouse, I thought the outputs were very smooth and stable as witnessed inside iNAV. Smoother than say the XM Plus for example.  My RSSI is pegged at a value of 2136 on channel 16, dont know how to calibrate INAV and its just showing 100% all the time.
  I did get it to drop right down around 50% when I put it on Range Test Mode though. (Micro power)

Considering I paid £30 for the TX Module AND the R9MM Micro receiver, its a bit of a steal....lol.

As for Trappy, he knows he just lost a load of sales, for certain, no wonder he's pissed off.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »

Hi Wayne,

I get what you are saying, but remember, it's very early days for FrSky on this. Wireless flashing of a receiver soldered into a Quad may be an attractive idea, but for me it's no big deal at all. Im not flashing my receiver every day.
  The latency issue the Quad brigade believe they can differentiate, is all in their heads if you ask me.
Im not sure why they even think they need a Crossfire to fly a Quad round their head...?...The range flying Quads are a different story of course, but surely they are the minority?
  Im assuming the Firmware will make the R9MM better in time. The antenna on this new R9MM receiver has a very short lead on it, so if you are installing it in a Quad and want to get the antenna clear of the frame, that's not going to help at all.
  Oliver C has been flying a range Quad for quite some time now on the R9M. His RX (dipole) antenna is pretty long in comparison and lives at the top of a long Pull tie on his Quad.  That may be significant..?  Once again, FrSky have elected to give us a short RX antenna, which makes no sense at all, especially on a Quad.  I think FrSky are bringing aftermarket antennas soon though..?

SW1900 & Storm.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »

Oh sure, it's early days - it will get better - but some they've had the R9M out a while, so need to pull their finger out.

IMO it needs a consolidated version of the firmware, not 3 and a half forks depending on where you are going.  Perhaps they need to sink all of their energy into the Flex version.

I thought the latency improvements that CRSF brought was snake oil as well.  But then I tried it, and it's absolutely true, if I - with my limited flying skills - can tell the difference, then a racer can use it to their advantage.  F.Port doesn't offer anything like the improvement CRSF does, so FrSky is never going to win out over Crossfire from this point of view.

But get their link working reliably and decently, have some decent documentation - and it'll be a good prospect

atomiclama

• Pilot Officer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »

Mine arrived yesterday so today it gets taken apart and checked over.

What's the 1/4 wave length of your antennas? Mine are measuring in at 72mm which seams rather short. I calculate it should be ~82mm.

Cheers

zagifly

• Flying officer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »

Just checked my R9 slim and the antenna is 82mm

Dave H
Just do it

Epicurus1

• Flying officer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »

I'll hold any conclusions until 2.2.3. I also want to try an RX other than the mini. The slim has diversity so I'm planning on using that in a mini talon.

atomiclama

• Pilot Officer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »

Thanks for verifying the antenna length.

Did a walk test at the weekend. Got out to 500m round the park. the main thing being this was with the TX in the boot of my car and the worst line I could find was through a full car park, a leisure centre and a clump of trees. It was dropping packets but the link was still there.  So feeling confident.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

* Recent Topics
Testing Frsky R9M antenna orientation. Vertical vs Horizontal by Steve W
[Today at 01:11:26 AM]

ZOHD Dart XL suffers from iNav logic fail by English Turbines
[Today at 12:19:15 AM]

Laminating film source? by chris-s
[Yesterday at 10:02:04 PM]

Average by Dave
[Yesterday at 02:12:41 PM]

Drone Registration Consultation by electrotor
[Yesterday at 11:41:16 AM]

Freestyle quad budget build by ched
[Yesterday at 12:25:06 AM]

CTC genuine thermocouple source ? by Coyote
[November 19, 2018, 08:33:59 PM]

3D Printed Trainer by Steve W
[November 19, 2018, 06:41:16 PM]

Nathan's first flights by Coyote
[November 19, 2018, 05:50:45 PM]

3D Printed EDF by Drone 5
[November 19, 2018, 05:24:42 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.