Views: 1791
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff
zeroG Raptor

Views: 2128
Posted by: Njoro
in: FPV Stuff

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mini Talon Testbed  (Read 1000 times)

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
    • My New Blog
Re: Mini Talon Testbed
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 12:22:02 AM »

The top side of the plane is now essentially done, I printed up some surrounds for the bays to finish them off :

Notice a little further down the wing the plastic air speed probe, or a straw as its otherwise known as. That part of the build is the first  :censored:  up of the build ! :)

See what happened was instead of fitting a spar to run a cable down like on the bays, I permanently glued the wire in, because of course it would work ... Without testing it first :) 

Well it didn't, which was a major problem, so I had to rip the sensor and the cabling out and make a right mess of the wing doing so :

Once it was out the only logical thing really to do was fit a spar and another bay for the sensor :

If it's worth doing it's worth doing properly, so I fit a proper pitot tube this time, then gorilla foamed the channels, finishing off with filler :

On the subject of the gorilla foam glue, once I initially made the bays bigger and cut the channels, I feared I had gone too far and completely weakened the wings too much. After the gorilla glue set however that worry is no more, jesus that stuffs strong !

To finish it off I printed a 0.4mm trim to go over the sensor pipe and pulled it off the printer as soon as it finished so it was still soft, then I molded it around the wing holding it for a few seconds to let it set in place, doesn't look bad if I do say so myself :)

So that was the cockup out the way, incidentally I can not get a working 3v signal out of either sensor so wonder if they were one of the casualties when the MFD AP went up in smoke afterall. I will have to order some APM sensors and mod them instead.

I made up some patch leads for the wings from some 6 core cable :

I printed some ends like in the picture below, fit the cores to header pins, the idea being I could plug into them, depending on what I was wanting to use in that bay that day and all would be good. As it turned out that method just took up too much room in the bay for my liking so I've ordered some 6 pin female connectors instead, so that will have to wait a day or two now.

So to finish tonights building off I block sanded down the underside of the wings to get them as flat and smooth as possible, because of the extensive surgery over the years it was never going to look like new so once I got the finish I was after I taped the undersides and they turned out pretty good considering :

Not bad ! So that's the aesthetics for the top and underneath now done :)

I just managed to get a Telefly Pro OSD from Trevor which will be here soon, then realised that mean relocating the ESC back down to make way for a platform for the unit. I'm hoping the cold air will still get through the holes in the plate sufficiently. Then its mount and wire the Telefly, mount the camera using the FPV picture to get the best height.

Education and schoolin is good, but FPV is gooder :)

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

FlyingRock

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »

That's looking great Ian! I was missing your comprehensive build post :)

What happened to your EZ-wbc setup? Any plans to fit it in the MT?

Cheers

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »

The HD broadcasting ?

I just didn't really think it was all that at the time, but will look further into it later next year.

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »

Looking good mate....My Mini Talon is getting the F405 wing as an upgrade.
The BECs make life easier when you are using 1.2G.

Looking forward to using Autolaunch, the MT can be a bit iffy at launch time, at least I can avoid a prop strike.

:vulture:
Nothing beats the smell of Jet-A at 800 Celsius...:)
Falcon UHF & 1280mhz Video.
SW1900 & Storm.

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »

To be honest I bet I  never use the auto launch feature. Mainly because you launch a mini talon straight ahead instead of any angle, if an auto launch was engaged it would try and climb it instantly ending up in trouble. Better off just having stabilization on and doing it manually.

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

Steve W

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »

:) taped wings .... never thought i'd see the day :) vindication at last :D

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »

Lmao ! :)

I hold my head in shame :)

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

Steve W

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »

Remember when I turned my Easy Star into a cow using some of that sticky roll you get for the insides of drawers on the wings ;D ... you're missing a trick :)

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »

I'll pass on that styling mod Guru Steve :)

Today I took it into work to do a few bits in iNav and really get some familiar with it, also to decide on a final position for the failsafe camera. To do this meant finally seeing a picture from it. The 6 pin header pieces haven't turned up so I made a quick RCA plug and wired directly to my goggles.

To my surprise I wasn't very happy with the picture ! The camera was fine, the colours great,m the OSDS nice and clear ( I used the Vision font )

The problem was the OSD is ghosted everywhere light on the picture !

So I immediately thought its the board, but wanted to capture these artifacts on screen so put an SD card into the Dominator V2's and set about recording. This is where I was a bit confused, I played the recorded sample back where you could clearly see the past frozen AH line and the window frames of the building ghosted in the background, except ........ They were not there, the pictures fine ????????

So now I'm confused, if the artifacts are only appearing in my googles but not being picked up in the DVR the planes output must be fine, so then are my Dominators faulty ? I think the logical way forward is to wire up a vtx when I get in tonight and see if it replicates the issue in the goggles or whether the problem simply disappears.

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

AdamG

• Group Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »

Enjoyed reading this. I have a MT on its way so this was interesting. Really need to get me a 3D printer by the looks of it  :P
My YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/1AdamG

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

Thanks Adam

Onwards and upwards, for the Vtx bays I wanted a way of holding the Vts SMA in place but with the flexibility ( being a testbed ) of swapping different brand Vtx's.

So a simple block with 3 SMA slots should do the trick :

So center mounted SMA Vtx's can fit right up against one end and either left or right can too :

Nice ! Sometimes under-engineering works best :)

Next Trevors Telefly Pro OSD had arrived to enable me to use the MFD ATT tracker without the MFD AP.

Now if you just followed all the instructions you will need to connect a shit loads of wires, but you can get away with this few :

Then I printed some CG nipples and glued them to 55mm from the leading edge, makes checking the CG so much easier without having to search for marks

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo

Steve W

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
  • ^ not actual size
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »

I really fancy a 3d printer, I could make some pretty handy stuff like that.

mutley2

• Wing Commander
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »

I pulled the trigger on a Prusa i3 Mk3 a few months ago and its been the best modelling tool I've ever owned, like Ian I've been playing with my Mini Talon again and Skyhunter. The parts we can now produce are just fantastic, made my own P&T for the Runcam Split 2 which I've tried in the Skyhunter. Printing another now for the Mini Talon, lighter, stronger and less frontal area, winwin
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:46:28 PM by mutley2 »
Skyhunter, Drak, Mini Talon, Z3, Z2 and 250 Vortex. :overexcited:
He who dies with the most toys win

Coyote

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:09:47 AM »

Very nice ! Although this build has come to an abrupt half for a bit.

My 3D printer went into a temp sense fault, then it burned out the mightyboard motherboard :( So waiting on getting it back up and running again.,

I have ordered the R9 Slim+ today for it though.

My Blog
My Youtube
My Vimeo
Pages: 1 2 [3]

* Recent Topics
Freestyle quad budget build by Coyote
[Today at 06:17:10 PM]

ZOHD Dart XL suffers from iNav logic fail by English Turbines
[Today at 10:14:48 AM]

Testing Frsky R9M antenna orientation. Vertical vs Horizontal by urbanfpv
[Today at 09:45:54 AM]

Laminating film source? by pk-surfing
[Today at 09:09:39 AM]

Mini Talon Testbed by Coyote
[Today at 08:09:47 AM]

Average by Dave
[Yesterday at 02:12:41 PM]

Drone Registration Consultation by electrotor
[Yesterday at 11:41:16 AM]

CTC genuine thermocouple source ? by Coyote
[November 19, 2018, 08:33:59 PM]

3D Printed Trainer by Steve W
[November 19, 2018, 06:41:16 PM]

Nathan's first flights by Coyote
[November 19, 2018, 05:50:45 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.