Views: 133
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Matek 405-Wing

Views: 135
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: E.T.s Versa Wing....The easy way.  (Read 1384 times)

Coyote

• Tape Apprentice
  • Administrator
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
    • My New Blog
Re: E.T.s Versa Wing....The easy way.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »

Progressing along nicely ET :)

Another Masek fan, I do like their boards quality control so I can see why you went the route you did.
Education and schoolin is good, but FPV is gooder :)

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »

Progressing along nicely ET :)

Another Masek fan, I do like their boards quality control so I can see why you went the route you did.

Cheers Ian....Yes, getting there slowly.

I am a bit of a Matek fan it's true, the F405 Wing FC, PDB and also their tiny 5.8vtx which does over 700 mw output.
  Their stuff does look good quality when compared to some of the usual Chinese stuff.  I had to use my big soldering iron on that PDB where the main connectors are.

More photos soon on the Depron Versa Wing...

:vulture:
Nothing beats the smell of Jet-A at 800 Celsius...:)
Falcon UHF & 1280mhz Video.
SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »

Progress Update:

Servos are glued in place, plus an angled connector for the GPS on UART1.
Fuz is Taped up in Hobby King wing tape.
  Its very sticky tape but not very flexible at all, so it's a bit crinkly around the nose. The Fuz has turned out pretty strong. The best tape for covering a Depron Fuz is PVC Tape, or Electrical tape and it comes in lots of colours too. I need to go on E-Bay and order some.

To Do:

Finish wiring and hook up the 1.2G vtx on the wingtip.
 Fit wingtips.
 Screw wing in place.
 Fit Elevons and linkages.
 Fit Camera.
 Lateral balance, check CG.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:48:58 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

FPVSteve

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
  • I don't so much fly as get flown.
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »

Funky looking thing - bet it flies well.

It sort of looks like a hangglider

Coyote

• Tape Apprentice
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 07:04:24 PM »

I forgot how odd it looked too, but now it's all coming back now, its all modular hence versa - Versatile :)

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »

Funky looking thing - bet it flies well.

It sort of looks like a hangglider

Hi Steve,

I decided to build one because a mate turned up with one the other week...His was built to plan as a pusher wing and it just flew like a bird with a 2200 mah in it. It's one of those models that just flies really well, mainly due to the low wing loading I suspect as its a very light model.
   I have thinned the wing section thickness by 14mm as it looked too thick for the span to me and I didnt want it to fly too slow. Even now it looks pretty thick and Im guessing it will still fly pretty slowly with a shallow glide.
  I have seen some of them built ultra clean with everything inside the hollow wings, which makes them really efficient. I wanted a Fuz on mine as it makes install so much easier and launching with Autolaunch should be really easy.
  Looking forward to flying it TBH...your right, it does have a classic Hang Glider wing shape, no bad thing.

SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »

A bit more progress after other stuff got in the way....:)

Elevons:

Unskinned Depron sheet has very little rigidity, so here is how I fixed the problem using some cheap Barbeque Sticks from the Poundshop. Also using 19mm (very sticky) glass stranded tape to make the hinges. By the time the Elevon is taped securely to the wing trailing edge, its rigidity is more than enough. The man who created glass stranded tape should be given a medal IMO.
I increased the width of the Elevon at the tips a bit while I was at it.
  Also, the wing gets its plywood fixings to secure the Fuz to it using screws. Getting there...:)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:59:28 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

Coyote

• Tape Apprentice
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »

That looks better :)

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »

That looks better :)

Hi Ian,
             Yeah, it looks different with the Elevons on it doesnt it..?....Today I made the control linkages using some old (Nylon) control horns, Cycle Spokes (2mm), and some Nylon Clevis.
  An M2 Thread Die is used to cut the threads with the spoke held in the Hand Drill and the Die held in a Vice. A little cutting oil and the threads are a doddle to cut. Custom made linkages pretty stiff, none of those ridiculous thin bits of wire in tubes taped to the wings upper surface.
   3mm Ply on the underside of the Elevon is what the (14mm) long servo screws are screwed into. Man, I love those servo screws...lol.
   The control surfaces are large and deserve decent linkages for sure.

SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »

Progress Update...:

After buggering around with the R9M and the Ranger, the Versa Wing Scratch Build got a bit sidetracked, but I finally have the Fuselage screwed to the wing using 14mm Servo screws.  It's a lot stronger than it looks...lol.

The Runcam Sparrow is installed up front, a bit of wiring and stick on some wingtips and it's good to go. I need to reduce mechanical movement of the giant Elevons as watching my mate fly his again made me realise I have at least 3 times more than what is advisable.
   I managed to get a fairly lengthy flight of his Versa, and still managed to fly it even though it was on Mode 2. Its a pussy cat when trimmed, and yet still very maneuverable. The most obvious attribute is its very low wing loading, which means it will fly on fumes in a light to moderate wind.   

SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »

Another bit of Progress on the Versa creation:

The 800mw Partom 1.2G Video Transmitter gets some mods. Strip off the massive heat sink casing and the other Alum plates inside. The case and the heat sinks weight more than the VTX.

I solder the upper case to the lower one to transfer heat into the whole case rather than just the bottom half. You will need to clean and flux the case, and I used a big soldering iron to do it. This also holds the case together nicely.
  I have some small memory chip heat sinks coming from E-Bay to stick on it too. Running it without the sinks makes it get warm, but not unduly so, not too worried about it overheating as long as the antenna is a good one. When the sinks arrive, I will fit it in the Port wing.

Oh, and the wingtips are fitted, I need some red PVC Tape too....sorry about the black stuff but its just perfect for this sort of thing...lol

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:00:19 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »

Progress Report:

The 1.2G vtx gets its heat sinks, and the Flytron Dipole gets a soft bottom half to stop it ripping out on landing.

The 1280mhz antenna is glued to the wing spar / bottom skin junction, it's not going anywhere....:)

In case you were wondering how big a 1.2G Dipole is, here it is next to a 5.8G RD for scale.

It's definitely a low drag antenna installation.....

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:02:39 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.

Coyote

• Tape Apprentice
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 08:15:42 PM »

Coming along nicely, your vtx choice is a bit strange for the size of the craft though isn't it ? What sort of range are you going for with it?

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »

Coming along nicely, your vtx choice is a bit strange for the size of the craft though isn't it ? What sort of range are you going for with it?

Hi Ian,
             Yes, I know....The real problem with 200mw 1,2G vtxs at the moment is one of availability. The last 200mw vtx I ordered arrived set to the wrong band altogether. Didn't work for me.
  The reason I got this one was because it was only 20 from Bangood and a Partom brand which I know work fine as I already have one. The other nice thing is the push button frequency selection and the LED display on them. I know 800mw is rather OTT and it's probably good for 15 miles at least, but the EZ receiver seems unfazed by all that RF onboard. I know the Pirate uses a 1.5 watt version, which really is bonkers TBH. Works though.
   I have since discovered that Aliexpress have a selection of lower powered 1.2G vtxs, although some look rather naff. RMRC are also out of stock, its a problem.

SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »

Update:  Its finished..:)

Apart from a little Tip weight to balance up for the VTX its done. The Red PVC tape showed up and I also got some yellow to add some stripes for trim. Pleased, it looks like it might be a mile muncher in calmish conditions.

The VTX is sitting in a deep recess to keep it aero, the heat sinks work really well. The heat sinks came from E-Bay for memory chip cooling and come with proper 3M heat transfer material.

Updated Plan is included for those wanting to have a go at a Scratchbuild....:)
l
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:25:20 PM by English Turbines »
SW1900 & Storm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.