Mini 3D Gimbal on MTD

Views: 176
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Matek 405-Wing

Views: 178
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album

Author Topic: E.T.s Stingy X5 Quad...Learning Air Mode.  (Read 454 times)

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
E.T.s Stingy X5 Quad...Learning Air Mode.
« on: May 25, 2019, 11:08:12 PM »

A bit of a Breezy day so I dig out my favorite 5 Inch Quad and get some practice in flying in Air Mode. Having flown far too long in Angle Mode, I forced myself onto Air Mode which felt very alien at first, getting the hang of it now though.
  I still need to land in Angle Mode though...U-Tube has butchered the video quality a bit.

7:36....He does a roll....lol.

:vulture:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:12:01 PM by English Turbines »
Nothing beats the smell of Jet-A at 800 Celsius...:)
Falcon UHF & 1280mhz Video.
SW1900 & Storm.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Brought to you by Google
    • My YouTube page
Re: E.T.s Stingy X5 Quad...Learning Air Mode.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

Ok, so first thing.... and **pedant wanring** Air mode is just an additional, so you could fly air mode whilst in angle or horizon, so I presume you were in acro with air mode enabled as well.... yes ?

Phew - ok I can speak normally now.  Nice flying, super smooth, no issues there at all.  Never touch stabalized mode again !  With the camera angle as you have it, you should be fine landing in acro.

What is up with your video though - you can see it's a nice enough camera, but the amount of noise you are getting is a bit offputting.  What gives ?

Coyote

• Tape Apprentice
  • Administrator
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
    • My New Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »

Really impressed by the picture the camera is producing, but the noise urghhh.

There's not really much to learn with air mode, just remember not to land with it still on :)
Education and schoolin is good, but FPV is gooder :)

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »

Flying in rate mode is very difficult at first but once you get used to it stabilised flying seems weird!!
Air mode is just giving the fc authority to control motors better on zero throttle (like in rolls). It can make the quad bounce quite a bit when landing, so if you can have air mode on a switch would be handy.
Nice smooth flying.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 05:42:22 PM »

Ok, so first thing.... and **pedant wanring** Air mode is just an additional, so you could fly air mode whilst in angle or horizon, so I presume you were in acro with air mode enabled as well.... yes ?

Phew - ok I can speak normally now.  Nice flying, super smooth, no issues there at all.  Never touch stabalized mode again !  With the camera angle as you have it, you should be fine landing in acro.

What is up with your video though - you can see it's a nice enough camera, but the amount of noise you are getting is a bit offputting.  What gives ?

Hi Wayne,
                  Yes, it shows Air Mode on the OSD and yes, it is in fact in Acro Mode even though it doesn't say it is, confusing huh..? Acro Mode being the default Mode unless another Mode is selected if I have understood it correctly..?

The only other flight Mode I have set up is Angle Mode (Stab, just to confuse things further)and I usually engage this while I take off or land it as its way more predictable and easier for me to place the model to land it. Im beginning to like flying in Acro Mode TBH, it's just taken me quite awhile to get used to it as it feels "loose" if that makes sense. But, it is easier to fly around now I have got used to it and allows Acro too although I need to practice that a lot more.
  Im using a 4 in 1 ESC cheapo Racestar and it has very little if any suppression and I have difficulty getting clean video (horror) despite a ferrite ring on the VBATT + input wire and a Cap across the VBATT FC input. You should see the noise without those fitted its really bad then. On my old F330 the ESC and FC is separated by a PCB layer, and it's notably cleaner on the video, so Im guessing the noise is actually radiated due to the close proximity of FC and ESC..? It's a nuisance TBH as I hate a noisy video as you may know....lol.
  Yeah, I think if I recall, Air Mode is permanently engaged which I think causes it to bounce when landing..?

SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »

Really impressed by the picture the camera is producing, but the noise urghhh.

There's not really much to learn with air mode, just remember not to land with it still on :)

Hi Ian,
             Yes, the Camera is a Runcam Swift, I like it better than my cheaper Sparrow because its a CCD camera. The Sparrow is okay in low light but suffers in bright sunlight like in this clip.  Im thinking I land in Air Mode because its permanently on if I remember right....It does like to bounce on landing a bit..Im not an expert Quad Pilot but I like flying it when it's too windy for Fixed wing stuff. Im building a new 5 Inch GPS Quad now with iNAV in it....lol.

SW1900 & Storm.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »

Flying in rate mode is very difficult at first but once you get used to it stabilised flying seems weird!!
Air mode is just giving the fc authority to control motors better on zero throttle (like in rolls). It can make the quad bounce quite a bit when landing, so if you can have air mode on a switch would be handy.
Nice smooth flying.

Hi Ched,
                  I think I have Air Mode set permanently on if I remember...I have surprisingly little stick time in Acro Mode TBH, so its still a bit of a learning curve TBH...
   That said, I do have a LOT of hours in Angle mode, which Im now trying to wean myself off.

SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »

Hi Ched,
                  I think I have Air Mode set permanently on if I remember...I have surprisingly little stick time in Acro Mode TBH, so its still a bit of a learning curve TBH...
   That said, I do have a LOT of hours in Angle mode, which Im now trying to wean myself off.

I have been learning to fly in rate mode for the last 12 months. I have finally managed to start doing some flips, rolls and split S in the last few weeks. My fingers don't learn very quickly at all  :) I do practice on the sim (Velocidrone) about an hour a day!!  I am slowly getting better but it is my fingers that are the main issue as I have never been a gamer. So your stick time, even if it's in angle will help as your fingers will be much more used to the fine control required.
I had to force myself to stop using angle mode, at first I was using it to take off and land but now only use rate mode and I do get confused if I'm in angle mode for some reason ;D

You where doing some nice smooth flying and getting a long flight time. I tend to get about 7mins on a 1500mAh 4S with the racerstar 4in1 esc and their 2300kv motors.

The noise issue may not be just down to the esc as I think I use the same one. I did use a eachines vtx03 with a generic pagoda and it was a bit noisy but I put that down to my site being under hv pylon cables. I changed to a unify hv race vtx and a Menace Raptor antenna and it was much much better noise wise. I use a Swift micro 2 camera and find it very good.  Make sure your vtx and camera ground are connected to the same 0v pad as using slightly different 0v locations can cause noise.
Happy flying and keep the vids coming.

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »

I have been learning to fly in rate mode for the last 12 months. I have finally managed to start doing some flips, rolls and split S in the last few weeks. My fingers don't learn very quickly at all  :) I do practice on the sim (Velocidrone) about an hour a day!!  I am slowly getting better but it is my fingers that are the main issue as I have never been a gamer. So your stick time, even if it's in angle will help as your fingers will be much more used to the fine control required.
I had to force myself to stop using angle mode, at first I was using it to take off and land but now only use rate mode and I do get confused if I'm in angle mode for some reason ;D

You where doing some nice smooth flying and getting a long flight time. I tend to get about 7mins on a 1500mAh 4S with the racerstar 4in1 esc and their 2300kv motors.

The noise issue may not be just down to the esc as I think I use the same one. I did use a eachines vtx03 with a generic pagoda and it was a bit noisy but I put that down to my site being under hv pylon cables. I changed to a unify hv race vtx and a Menace Raptor antenna and it was much much better noise wise. I use a Swift micro 2 camera and find it very good.  Make sure your vtx and camera ground are connected to the same 0v pad as using slightly different 0v locations can cause noise.
Happy flying and keep the vids coming.

Hi m8,
             I do have a common power and video ground on VTX and Camera...Im still not sure what is causing the noise issue. At present I have a Cap across the VBATT input on the FC. I also run the + supply around a ferrite ring. Although that improved it some, its still noisy. My next move will be an LC filter like my Martian has which does work. Even on that quad I had to install two of them...

Here are some snapshots from todays Stingy flights.....:)

SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »

Hi m8,
             I do have a common power and video ground on VTX and Camera...Im still not sure what is causing the noise issue. At present I have a Cap across the VBATT input on the FC. I also run the + supply around a ferrite ring. Although that improved it some, its still noisy. My next move will be an LC filter like my Martian has which does work. Even on that quad I had to install two of them...

Here are some snapshots from todays Stingy flights.....:)

Sounds like you should have a very good signal! I assume you have checked the antenna connections? Maybe the 0V on the antenna is poor?

That photo looks like you are flying close to an airfield  :o  Was it easy to get permission?

English Turbines

• Air Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »

Sounds like you should have a very good signal! I assume you have checked the antenna connections? Maybe the 0V on the antenna is poor?

That photo looks like you are flying close to an airfield  :o  Was it easy to get permission?

Hi Ched,

I have no problem with video or control signal...just noise on this quad. The Airfield in the photo is about 1km South of our flying field. The Airfield is covered in Solar Panels if you look closely. They also do Motor Sport, often on Wednesdays. I often fly over there to see what they are up to. The quad is a great way to film them, as you can see 300 metres altitude plus is pretty easy to do...
   What I find is most remarkable is the stability of the quad, even in windy conditions.  My Mobius is sensitive to vibration on my Martian and Im trying softer mounting materials as if I can fix this I should be able to get some great footage.

My new GPS Martian now has a proper CCD camera fitted to try out if the weather allows, the Sparrow is the worst Runcam product ever IMO.

SW1900 & Storm.

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »

Cool. I was worried others might think you were flying over an active airfield  :D

Sorry when I said signal I should have said a 'very good noise free signal' with all the filtering.

Must admit I too am amazed at how wind resistant my Martian3 is. My old F450 wasn't good in wind at all and used to get blown about a fair bit. The Martian3 seems to be able to handle any wind. I even took the tiny Mobula7 out in the wind on Sunday and that wasn't too bad at all.

* Recent Topics
MOVED: GPS in Betaflight Poor Signal Strength by Coyote
[Today at 01:40:41 PM]

Lipo Batteries - Where to buy in the UK? by Rctech
[Today at 09:28:16 AM]

Best monitor/screen for sun? by drambuidhe
[Yesterday at 10:12:38 PM]

Anyone with stock PIDs for the Diatone R349 by ched
[Yesterday at 05:25:17 PM]

recommend me a soldering iron/station by gowen
[Yesterday at 05:20:02 PM]

New to iNav, 1st build by Schalonsus
[Yesterday at 01:01:10 PM]

I ripped with 4 different quads today! by luv2rip-fvp
[Yesterday at 03:09:27 AM]

GPS in Betaflight Poor Signal Strength by CurryKitten
[August 17, 2019, 10:58:27 AM]

Finally! by luv2rip-fvp
[August 16, 2019, 03:46:16 AM]

Brecon Beckons Part 2 by urbanfpv
[August 15, 2019, 12:06:44 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.