Views: 455
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Matek 405-Wing

Views: 463
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm (attempting) to make a free FPV quad sim  (Read 1617 times)

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Brought to you by Google
    • My YouTube page
Re: I'm (attempting) to make a free FPV quad sim
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 12:30:11 AM »

Haha, have no fear - it's a fun little project, I enjoy talking about it :)  Yes, the rates one was on the voting list, so another one to be added in at some point, but is only 3rd in the vote so far

You are right about not wanting too much on the motors, restricting power is quite a useful part of giving beginners an easier time.  I already did some work on what rates would be needed to fly on something like a PS4 controller, and it's so different from a normal radio.  Beginners, of course, don't know how betaflight works, so might struggle without the presets.

In order to procrastinate a bit, I removed the resolution/graphics detail dialog to appears before the main program.  Firstly because it looked a bit clunky, and secondly because user could bugger up the input settings if they messed in the input section.  This will house the "Reset to defaults" which will also erase the saved data, as people get scared when I tell them to remove the entry from the registry :)

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 12:13:51 AM »

Stopped procrastinating and started working on getting cars in the sim today.  Lots of banging my head against the wall wondering why stuff wasn't working, but managed to get a workable prototype running.

Quite a bit more to do in this part before I think it's ready for others to try.

Drone 5

• Wing Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 07:08:07 PM »

Hi,
Been away and just catching up with things.
I think its fantastic what you are working on. Well done.
I have just downloaded the latest release onto my Mac and will be giving it a go.
As I mainly fly fixed wing and have dabbled with my 250 quad, so this sim should be great for me.
Will keep you posted.
Mike
M.
YouTube Channel     wad5uk

FPVSteve

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
  • I don't so much fly as get flown.
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 07:48:10 PM »

Just realised I have not commented on this yet but have watched all the videos.

You're doing a fantastic job with this - nice to work on something fun I bet :) Keep it up.

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:40 PM »

Cars look great, I like the bit where they split up. No idea if it's difficult but maybe one of them could go up the hills when they split?
Well done.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »

They weren't actually designed to split up.  They are both following some waypoints to go around a course, but I'm trying to introduce some randomness to the way they drive so they act a bit more natural.  One of them got a bit over-excited and span out.

This not unusual, last night I managed to create a 3 car pile up while trying to get things as I wanted.. oops.  My intention was to get them drifting, but this is probably a bit ambitious for a first pass.  I have them getting a little bit sideways at higher speeds (and getting some air as well) so that'll probably do for the next release.  I just need to pin down a few routes to choose from and a selectable number of cars.

Thanks @Steve :)

Enjoy @Drone 5 - hopefully you'll just be able to plug in and start flying.  90% of the project so far has been sorting out all these weird and wonderful controllers people have been finding to use

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »

They weren't actually designed to split up.  They are both following some waypoints to go around a course, but I'm trying to introduce some randomness to the way they drive so they act a bit more natural.  One of them got a bit over-excited and span out.

This not unusual, last night I managed to create a 3 car pile up while trying to get things as I wanted.. oops.  My intention was to get them drifting, but this is probably a bit ambitious for a first pass.  I have them getting a little bit sideways at higher speeds (and getting some air as well) so that'll probably do for the next release.  I just need to pin down a few routes to choose from and a selectable number of cars.

Don't you just love code and the way it behaves   ;D  :o  :) It's all supposed to be pure logic, till it isn't  :o
Great work.

Dillwhacker

• Wing Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 10:51:13 PM »

This is beginning to look like really good fun - I love it.
I've got it running on an old (2009 win 7) desktop with a Spektrum transmitter and an Orange ORX USB dongle, but there is a lot of latency... Do you think it's the dongle / USB, or the crap old PC ?
Ill pursue it further, and thanks for a stellar effort, really good stuff!

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 12:03:00 AM »

This is beginning to look like really good fun - I love it.
I've got it running on an old (2009 win 7) desktop with a Spektrum transmitter and an Orange ORX USB dongle, but there is a lot of latency... Do you think it's the dongle / USB, or the crap old PC ?
Ill pursue it further, and thanks for a stellar effort, really good stuff!

I'm not sure - I've run it on fairly old kit and it's been ok, but there are so many controllers I haven't seen personally that it's tough to figure out.  Generally if the graphics seem to draw at a reasonable framerate, but on the radio screen you move your sticks and the graphic lags, then its more likely to be something with the USB dongle.  If you have access to any other radio's you can double check it with, that will narrow it down.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »

New update and video out (of course) attempting to explain things

I have spent hours and hours following those cars around tweaking their behavior.  I do find following them weirdly addictive though :D

Any update on your dongle @Dillwhacker ?

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 11:18:27 PM »

Been playing this evening and it's great. I am running an i3-4000M, 8Gb, win7 laptop and have to have it on lowest graphics setting at 1280x720 to be nice and smooth.
The cars are brilliant, chasing them round is great fun. They speed up, slow down, spin out and jump bumps just adds to the unpredictability making chasing them really great.
The new graphics menu works well. I don't know how Mac works but I have a windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen and the screen resolutions don't take that into account so some of the menus are a little hidden at the bottom. It's no big deal at all just thought I should mention it.

It's great fun chasing the cars and weaving in and out of the trees is great, thanks.

Great work, well done.

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 01:21:15 AM »

The new graphics menu works well. I don't know how Mac works but I have a windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen and the screen resolutions don't take that into account so some of the menus are a little hidden at the bottom. It's no big deal at all just thought I should mention it.

Thanks for letting me know about this.  I didn't do much windows testing other than double checking the basic functionality (as I'd spent longer on the previous versions on windows so was pretty happy)  I'll check it out in more detail on my VM and see what I get

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 08:47:06 PM »

I am addicted to chasing cars  :D :D :D :D :D :D
It's so much fun.......
I did find one little bug, if you land and wiggle the pitch and roll stick you can fall through the terrain! No big deal as normally we tend not to intentionally land very often  :D :D :D

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »

Another update -

We attempt to fix all the radio issues, make crashing into buildings more accurate and change the physics and power model.

I also reminds me that I haven't look at that Windows taskbar thing.  I'll make a note to do so!

ched

• Squadron Leader
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 11:11:38 PM »

Just been chasing cars and pushing the beach balls around  :D Great fun, thanks.
Couple of comments.
The red and blue car seems to be crashing into the trees by the buildings and getting stuck!
I do love the way the cars lose traction over the bumps and spin out, gives a great bit of unpredictability.

I reset the gravity and throttle multiplier back to 1.0 but the throttle seems too responsive at low throttle. It seems like it's hovering at about 10% throttle and the acceleration is a bit too fast. It's like it has too much torque at low throttle. That may be just me and what I am used to  :D.

The radio changes also picked up the app I used to use. It's called vJoy and I had a flysky rx connected to a FTDI adapter and the app worked with other sims (velocidrone and FPVFreerider). When I used it your sim wasn't out. The app is still installed and your changes picked it up so I guess it would work with that as well. Impressive.

Also if you see the attachment you can see the windows taskbar covering part of your sim when set to 1280x768. My actual screen res is 1366x768.

Hope you have a great holiday.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:13:57 PM by ched »
Pages: 1 [2]

* Recent Topics
Well, I registered by ORCA
[Today at 03:59:14 PM]

Took Mark's S900 out for a test! by luv2rip-fvp
[Today at 03:22:39 PM]

I'm (attempting) to make a free FPV quad sim by ched
[February 14, 2020, 11:11:38 PM]

PPM/PWM to SBUS converter? by ched
[February 08, 2020, 09:54:15 PM]

220mph Proximity by FPVSteve
[February 07, 2020, 12:51:32 PM]

Matek f405 wing and frsky l9r rssi setup by Brandon1
[February 04, 2020, 11:30:10 PM]

FrSky and ACCST 2.0 - DANGER by ORCA
[February 03, 2020, 08:50:44 PM]

My 1st rip of 2020! by luv2rip-fvp
[February 02, 2020, 07:12:36 PM]

recommend me a quad to learn on by badger
[February 01, 2020, 11:27:05 PM]

The Lego quadcopter by Coyote
[January 22, 2020, 08:46:19 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.