Views: 457
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Matek 405-Wing

Views: 466
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Well, I registered  (Read 1158 times)

FPVSteve

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
  • Marshal of the Royal Air Force
  • I don't so much fly as get flown.
    • DroneFinder
Well, I registered
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »

As title, I finally caved in and accepted that I need to register with the CAA so I have paid my 9 pounds.

There doesn't seem to be any point in resisting any longer, so I figured it best to be seen to be complying until such a time that the rules are either relaxed or.... screw us down a little further.

The thing is, I am only registering because I figure it is in my own interests if someone random approaches me and asks what I'm doing - the CAA have done a good job of informing people that drone pilots MUST be registered by law. It makes sense that someone who reads the newspapers might be aware of that fact, and if I can't produce proof (not that I have to, to Mr Nosey) then my life could be made more difficult. In producing a piece of paper to say "yes I am registered" I'm hoping that it is enough to pacify anyone who has a bee in their bonnet - they may not be aware of specific requirements such as <= 400ft rule, not flying BVLOS etc, so will be less inclined to challenge on those points. That's the theory anyway.

So yea ... sad times, but to be honest I'm feeling a bit positive about it because now I have something that, at least on paper, says I'm a law-abiding citizen.

Will it make the airspace any safer? Of course not, so it's pointless and is 100% a tax on the hobby in my opinion. I hope the CAA realise this in the future (if they don't already) once the criminals continue to do their dastardly deeds and are unable to be traced....

Drone 5

• Wing Commander
Re: Well, I registered
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »

Hi Steve.
Your whole piece sums it up.

I too have registered, (reluctantly) I may add.
M.
YouTube Channel     wad5uk

electricmick

• Wing Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »

I also registered as I have been asked to take some aerial photos for a car club (no compensation, not even beer) and was asked by 4 different members if I had a licence as they had heard you now need one! Just easier to pay the money and show a bit of paper and everybody is happy.

Mick
EasyStar, Skywalker V2, X8, Zephyr II, FPVraptor, Spidex, ZMR250, DG300. Eagle Tree stuff.

Coyote

• Tape Apprentice
  • Administrator
    • My New Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »

I can't fault your reasoning for registering, although now you have just been added to a blame list for something you haven't or may ever have done.

I think personally this is just the first step, once they have you registered then they have your details forever and then once they bring in transponders, certification etc to bring in more money they know exactly which house to go knock at to enforce it.

When I say enforce I of course mean fine to make more money off the back of a "legit" registered operator because they can't find the ones not registering who have no intention of following rules. I won't add "and endangering lives" because as we all know, not one single death caused by a fixed wing or multirotor to this very date has ever been recorded, but here we are bending at the knees to unjustified legislation with no evidence to back any of it up.

I laugh at the way they think the trouble causers will actually register ! Yeah of course ffs  :Rant:
Education and schoolin is good, but FPV is gooder :)

Xup

• Flight Lieutenant
  • Martin
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »

Same, no option really as I fly 50% at a BMFA club, 50% out in the wild.... All I'll say is out in the wild ...God help the first Jo-Public to ask for my reg details, ear bashing will not come close :)

FPVSteve

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:29 PM »

I can't fault your reasoning for registering, although now you have just been added to a blame list for something you haven't or may ever have done.

Yup - but they do have to prove that it was us if anything happens, they can't simply go around saying "you'll do".

I think personally this is just the first step, once they have you registered then they have your details forever and then once they bring in transponders, certification etc to bring in more money they know exactly which house to go knock at to enforce it.

Indeed - thing is though, what are we supposed to do? Back in the day it wasn't illegal to fly RC planes, now it is unless you're registered :( So you didn't use to HAVE to have "papers" to prove your legitimacy... I see no way around it and I don't want to quit flying.

When I say enforce I of course mean fine to make more money off the back of a "legit" registered operator because they can't find the ones not registering who have no intention of following rules. I won't add "and endangering lives" because as we all know, not one single death caused by a fixed wing or multirotor to this very date has ever been recorded, but here we are bending at the knees to unjustified legislation with no evidence to back any of it up.

I laugh at the way they think the trouble causers will actually register ! Yeah of course ffs  :Rant:

Absolutely agree - it's as if noone actually thought about the regulations.

Actually come on, we all know that's not the case - they know exactly what they're doing - it's their way of enforcing "knowledge" onto people so you can't plead ignorance of the rules in front of a judge.

I still hope that it ends up being a temporary measure, or simply something that just ends up being "one of those things" that exists but noone cares about, like the dog microchipping etc.

Is there an argument for keeping a log of all flights that you've done, and all video clips associated with it? Maybe not, because you can't prove you didn't fly by showing a non-existent video.

Dave

• Wing Commander
  • Let there be Flight....
    • F.P.heaVen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »

Ive put myself on the Police 'shopping list' recently too. I live VERY close to the local station so guess who will be visited first if there is any 'drone' related incidents in my area :+
WWW.FPHEAVEN.CO.UK

The flying cat

• Flying officer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »

all my gear is in storage due to house refirb, im not going to register unless we have a great summer, at the mo I'm more inclined to sell it all.

ORCA

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »

Didn't register, went sub 250g FPV(ZOHD Dart 250g) until 1/7/20 then sub 250g LOS. Also thought I'd give CL a go as I never did it in my youth. I want to see the outcome of talks leading up to and after 1/7/20. 1/ to hopefully get a feel of the attitude from DfT/CAA and thus assess future impositions; 2/ to see what the 2021 fee will be; 3/ to see the results of electronic ID in the USA as that will give an indication of what will/may happen here. Saying all this I believe we are 'drinking in the last chance saloon' and this is the beginning of the end, may take 5 years or a bit more. Not for every one, but the majority. I'm sure the cost and difficulties will increase to the point where every day occasional flyers will just not bother and there will be an increasing exodus from all forms of aeromodelling. This will obviously start at the bottom of the model hierarchy and work its way up to the more expensive/complex models until the balance of cost/difficulty of the legislation matches what a few reasonably wealthy and determined modelers are prepared to tolerate. Of course I could be completely wrong and things will be fine. Then again I've yet to see a flying pig! 
Age and Treachery Will Always Overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

The flying cat

• Flying officer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 02:00:12 PM »

this hobby is a money pit anyway, and now public enemy number one...too much hassle, especially now you have to be on a stupid list that could mean a visit by plod even if you are totally innocent.
lots of alternatives....
want the adrenaline rush of drone racing? play wipeout omega collection on ps3, ps4 or PlayStation VR....wipeout is the game that got me into the idea of fpv 25 years ago...
( or try clusterball for more freedom, though there are probably just a a couple of Germans still playing these days www.clusterball.de)
want to just fly around the sky? any flying sim, one off purchase, no expense if you crash....
simples.

ORCA

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 05:19:17 PM »

Two videos from BRUCE

I'm with him. Its the principle not the cost. I just spent 800 on 'stuff' for no other reason than because I wanted to. If it was 50P I still wouldn't register.
At the end of the second video he mentions that the CAA are considering making registration for indoor flying obligatory. How they going to police that??
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:14:06 AM by FPVSteve »
Age and Treachery Will Always Overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

FPVSteve

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 12:10:50 AM »

That would be Bruce who is lucky enough to fly from a dedicated airport, not by the side of a road like most of us.

He isn't going to get accosted by people asking him why he's flying from there is he - and that's the point. Registration sucks, but if I need to be registered in order to continue flying as I always have with some ammunition to throw back at nosy people to get them off my case then so be it.

The fight continues - but I'm not going to get faced with a potential fine etc by digging my heels in when 80,000 other people have gone ahead and legitimised the whole scheme. It's futile and would be a pretty stupid hill for me to die on.

The flying cat

• Flying officer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »

At the end of the second video he mentions that the CAA are considering making registration for indoor flying obligatory. How they going to police that??

This has to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard! who the f##k do the caa think they are? as if they have any f######g jurisdiction in our own homes / property....
 impossible to police...so what's the point...a huge thank you for the lobbying work by our representatives if this comes to fruition...
what a joke.

omegooliebird

• Flying officer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »

NOT going to register... NEVER. It is one of the most ridiculous laws to ever pass. I am saddened by those that did register, whilst I have listened to their reasons, and done my best to understand, their numbers have legitimised the whole thing and given it unnecessary momentum. The only power we had as individuals to stop this nonsense was to hold back for a few months and let the whole thing fall embarrassingly on the fat faces of those greedy uninformed dictators who created it. I would rather not fly for a few months, than tell my child that I gave in. I am ashamed by the hobby community for being such easy prey.

FPVSteve

• "The Gaffer Tape King"
  • Administrator
    • DroneFinder
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 07:26:12 PM »

Well, that's exactly why I did register - 80,000 people have done it beforehand so regardless of what we think, it's been legitimised.

I don't think it's ever going to go away now so what's the point?

I think there''s an argument here for what I have done - I fly alone. I don't have the luxury of a dedicated field, nor having other people around me while I fly... I'm alone and so a more "vulnerable" target for anyone who chooses to have a problem with me.

It makes sense for me to look after #1 sadly. It's not like I represent anyone anyway and I guarantee if I ever get shafted noone would have my back.
Pages: [1] 2 3

* Recent Topics
Well, I registered by ched
[February 20, 2020, 08:51:38 PM]

Took Mark's S900 out for a test! by luv2rip-fvp
[February 17, 2020, 03:22:39 PM]

I'm (attempting) to make a free FPV quad sim by ched
[February 14, 2020, 11:11:38 PM]

PPM/PWM to SBUS converter? by ched
[February 08, 2020, 09:54:15 PM]

220mph Proximity by FPVSteve
[February 07, 2020, 12:51:32 PM]

Matek f405 wing and frsky l9r rssi setup by Brandon1
[February 04, 2020, 11:30:10 PM]

FrSky and ACCST 2.0 - DANGER by ORCA
[February 03, 2020, 08:50:44 PM]

My 1st rip of 2020! by luv2rip-fvp
[February 02, 2020, 07:12:36 PM]

recommend me a quad to learn on by badger
[February 01, 2020, 11:27:05 PM]

The Lego quadcopter by Coyote
[January 22, 2020, 08:46:19 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.