Views: 739
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Matek 405-Wing

Views: 742
Posted by: Coyote
in: Coyote`s Album
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Brave New World  (Read 1943 times)

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Marshal
  • Brought to you by Google
    • My YouTube page
Re: Brave New World
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »

It's all good - helps to build up a more complete picture of things.  There's a few things I picked up in the pictures, 1 minor and 1 I didn't recognise and wanted to ask about it.  So on the inputs screen, you don't need to define  channels 5 and 6, you can just leave them.  There's nothing wrong with making them specific inputs, but if you are setting anything on a switch within then inputs and doing the same in the mixer then you can potentially get in a conflict.  You can just leave the inputs blank (as per ch7 onwards) and still assign them in the mixer.  But that's one of the things with OpenTX - theres never just one way of doing things.  Your primary channels are all fine though, so this wouldn't cause the issue you are seeing.

The screen that confused me a bit was your setup screen (number 2 on the OpenTX list)  Your internal RF stuff looked fine, but just above the there was a Reg ID.  The registration ID is an Access thing, but you are clearly using ACCST.  I just went into my radio (the same one as yours and couldn't see it) I upgraded to the latest version of OpenTX as well and still couldn't see it.  It could be nothing, but could you tell me what version of OpenTX you have there and what firmware options are included (you can get this form the radio config stuff (long press menu and then keep paging)

Example from my radio -

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2020, 12:43:57 PM »

I'll just type out what it says on the screen it's quicker.

VERSION
FW        : opentx-x9lites

Vers      : FrSky (d39cc6fa)

DATE    : 2019-11-07   11:38:44

EEPR    : 219

MODULES

int module        ISRM-X9LiteS
                        1.1.1/1.1.3EU

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2020, 03:09:43 PM »

Hmmm, ok - so this radio, which appears to be the X9liteS (not just the X9lite - subtle difference) seems to be on the FrSky version of the Firmware which looks equivalent to OpenTX 2.2.3.  Which is old and a bit of an unknown quantity as I don't know what FrSky "do to it" but the way I see it we are looking at several possibilities.

Radio and rx are working perfectly, but the SBUS pin is a duffer.  Did you do the continuity test I suggested from a previous step, so looking at if you got continuity between the back leg of the socket where the RX is plugged in to the RX6 pad on the underside of the board.  If not could you try and do so, it can help us pin things down a bit more.

rx is working perfectly, but radio isn't sending stuff to it.  I mentioned before that you should expect to see an RSSI signal on ch8 or 16 is RSSI had been flashed to that XM+.  Was it and if so how do you know?  If we're sure the RSSI should be there and we're seeing nothing on the Betaflight rx tab then it points back towards a dodgy SBUS pin, but if we're not sure then could be comms between radio and rx.  Two possible ways forward here - youn mentioned grabbing an SBUS to PWM converter so you could plug in the RX to it and test it (I servo in ch 1 and wiggle a stick would do the trick for example) I've a whole bunch of "smart" chargers in front of me that will read an sbus signal and are really handy for seeing if you are getting a signal out of it.... not that this helps you directly.  But if you were looking for something reasonably cheap and cheerful, this URUAV thing I looked at is under £10.  But something that could check if you were getting valid sbus out of it would obviously be very useful as we can pin down the problem more.

I think "radio acting up" is a bit of a long shot, but when Access first came out, they didn't add ACCST back in initially, does the fact that your radio is on it's base FrSky firmware make it bad?  Probably not, but if you want to update the firmware, at least you are on a known good level where we know everything is good and happy.  It's a fairly painless process and you can back up your original firmware and your model memory in case you want to revert.

Here's my howto video on the subject -

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »

Cheers CK I just ordered one of those gadgets through your affiliate link, looks very handy.
Checking the pins on the connector will mean taking the whole thing apart and I think I'll leave that to a last resort option at the moment. I suspect its more likely to be a failure to communicate between TX and RX probably due to something I did :facepalm: Ask me to make a model steam engine and I'll do it, electronic stuff is just magic to me :D.

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2020, 11:49:14 PM »

Well today I connected an Sbus to PWM(?) module and a couple of servos and thats working. I carefully checked the socket on the FC board and all is well as far as I can see. The trouble is I don't know what I don't know, I stare at all the ticky boxes in Betaflight and my eyes glaze over. I've tried following instructional videos on youtube, but I get stuck at the point where the Rx isn't working and just don't know what to do next. There's bound to be some simple step that I'm missing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:51:01 PM by Tim Chambers »

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2020, 01:36:58 AM »

So the signal from radio is getting to the receiver and that is putting out a valid SBUS signal... that's good it pins things down.  It really comes down to one of two possibilities.

1 - The SBUS pin on the flight controller isn't working
2 - You have misconfigured something in Betaflight

The 1st one we can check (as mentioned previously) by checking continuity between the leg of the socket the rx is plugged into and the RX (and also the other RX6 pad) and depending on what happened we might want to connect up that other rx6 pad.  However, I know you don't want to rip this quad apart to check this out.

So let's look at your Betaflight setup.  I have to say that from what you've mentioned so far it sounds ok, but it would be good to see it.  Any way you can screen record your betaflight showing the tabs, and scrolling down in the configuration tab so we can see the whole picture.  But if not, then pics are good.  It's really the ports tab, configuration tab and receiver tab that should tell the main part of the story here.

I'm presuming you haven't done anything with the firmware (like update it) ?

ched

• Wing Commander
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2020, 02:27:57 AM »

Silly question but that fc doesn't need solder pads shorting to get sbus does it?

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »

Silly question but that fc doesn't need solder pads shorting to get sbus does it?

Well I hope not, I thought I was buying a Bind and Fly job.

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2020, 09:42:38 PM »

Today I thought I was making progress at last! I took delivery of a new FC and fitted it in (looks like the problem was a bent pin in the JST socket  :+). I am now getting a response to the Rx in the FC, however the controls are all crossed up AETR is set in the Tx and on Betaflight, but I'm getting ETAR (I think  (?)). Now I can't get the serial port to open.

I think i'd be better sticking with this,

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2020, 12:58:52 AM »

At least you'll have a spare (bearing in mind there were solder pads for the same connections)

As far as the channel order goes - did you double check in your mixer that ch 1/2/3/4 are actually set to aileron/elevator/throttle/rudder?

Sometimes the serial port doesn't appear and I unplug and plug in again.  If you are on a Windows PC then perhaps someone else could suggest something as I'm a Mac user.  As long as you haven't at any point redefined the MSP port in the ports tab you should be ok.

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2020, 11:44:48 PM »

At least you'll have a spare (bearing in mind there were solder pads for the same connections)
I thought that with all my bodging around trying to update the firmware in the Rx that I might have Fubarred something in the FC.
I have finally found out where the mixer page was hiding on the Tx and got the channels in the right order (hooray). Now I just need to work out what to do next.

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2020, 11:54:47 PM »

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

CurryKitten

• Global Moderator
  • Air Marshal
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »

Yay - this is the bit where you go out and fly it and have fun !

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2020, 05:42:21 PM »

Well I've already got a 12ft hazel pole on standby :D.

Tim Chambers

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 02:29:27 AM »

AT LAST! I finally got it to fly,skittish little beggar innit  ;D. Good job I took it out in the field for its first flight, otherwise I would probably be fishing it out of a tree.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

* Recent Topics
A little tour... by luv2rip-fvp
[Today at 01:50:15 PM]

UPDATE: Gatwick drone arrest couple - Dec 2018 by Coyote
[Yesterday at 02:59:41 PM]

Brave New World by Tim Chambers
[July 31, 2020, 02:56:19 PM]

Practicing Acro by FPVSteve
[July 30, 2020, 05:11:47 PM]

I'm (attempting) to make a free FPV quad sim by CurryKitten
[July 29, 2020, 10:10:00 PM]

One motor doesn’t spin, despite throttle position by FPVSteve
[July 29, 2020, 05:00:17 PM]

Mixing it up a bit by luv2rip-fvp
[July 27, 2020, 03:34:58 PM]

Wales Unlocked! by urbanfpv
[July 21, 2020, 06:13:51 PM]

NOOBs first quad... asking for a friend (2020) by Doppelganger
[July 19, 2020, 02:15:05 PM]

Great spot part 3 of 3 by luv2rip-fvp
[July 17, 2020, 09:04:18 PM]

* Keywords
fpvhub  fpv hub
first person view video piloting

rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv piloting wings fly flying flight fuse fuselage aileron tail pan tilt tx rx vtx rtx receiver transmitter video radio control controlled headtracker fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting fpv servo servos easystar easy star multiplex antenna VR1400 fatshark video goggles 2.4 5.8 1.2 900 ghz mhz uhf panel antenna circular fpv polarised tracker dbi 10mw 100mw 500mw camera osd fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv first person view video piloting downlink ezantenna tracker gps EzOSD current sensor tiny telemetry autopilot ccd gopro kx131 kx171 FY21 FY21A FY21AP II IMU oracle diversity processor video switcher fpvuk bfpvmfa fpv uk first person view video piloting insurance simulator delta wing glider funjet quadcropter helis heli helicopter electric nitro scratchbuild scratch build batteries battery 2s 3s 4s lipo lipos fpvuk first person view video piloting Antenna fpvhub  fpv first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv Airframe Artifical Horizon Auto pilot Av AWG AWU Bec Brownout Buddy box C rating CG Circular Polarized Data logger Dbi Dbm Dipole Diversity DVR Easycap EPO EPP Failsafe FM Freshnel zone Frequency Gain Ghz Goggles GPS Ground Station Gyro Head Tracker HD Hz Inverted Vee Jst LC Filter Lipo LUX Mah Mhz Omni OSD Pan Patch Platform Polarization Rssi RTH Servo Spotter Telemetry Tilt Tracker Transmitter TVL Ubec UHF Video Splitter Vrx Vtx Watts Yagi  fpv uk first person view video piloting rc r/c r.c. model aircraft flight pilot fpv

http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;xml http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=0 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=200 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=300 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=400 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=500 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=600 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=700 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=800 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=900 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1000 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1100 http://www.fpvhub.com/forum/index.php?action=sitemap;start=1200
* Disclaimer
The content, views and opinions expressed within this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views, official policy or position of FpvHub. However, we reserve the right to remove or edit any content considered inappropriate.